Chapter 58

---------- Chapter 58 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            “Everything will be okay, Skye,” Matt whispers, pulling me against him. “We’ll figure everything out!”

I just nod my head numbly.

We’ve been sitting in the crowded hospital for the past 3 hours - 30 Enmortal hours. Is Haden still all right?

Every moment I sit here…with this thing inside me…Haden could be getting hurt! He could be dying!

Summer sits next to me, holding my hand firmly while she leans against Carter’s shoulder.

Heck, even Sienna and Alex are comforting each other. Fatima is getting us coffee. Everyone has someone to support them. Everyone except me!

            “Matt…I really screwed up this time, didn’t I?” I whisper.

He shakes his head.

            “This isn’t your fault, Skye! If this was happening under any other condition, everyone would be ecstatic. But I told you; we’ll figure everything out, okay? You’re not going through this alone. All of us are here for you,” he assures me.

Again, I nod my head.

The wait continues, and finally – an hour later – my name is called.

I stand up uncertainly and Summer immediately gets up too.

            “I’ll come with you,” she says, wrapping her arm around my waist.

            “Can you come too, Matt?” I whisper.

He’s been nothing but supportive. And he’s always had a calming effect on me.

He nods his head and leads me into the doctor’s room.

The doctor is an elderly looking man. He smiles at me, and gestures for me to take the seat opposite him.

            “My name is Dr. Rodriguez,” he tells me.

            “I’m Skye,” I whisper, my voice raw from all the crying.

He gives me a sympathetic smile.

            “You look like you’ve had a rough day. Did you just…find out?” he asks gently.

I nod my head.

He turns to Matt.

            “Are you the father?”

            “No,” I whisper. “The father isn’t here at the moment.”

He jots this down and then looks up at me again.

            “How old are you? Does the father know yet?”

I begin sniffling, and Summer strokes my back.

Matt smiles politely.

            “Skye’s 21 and the baby’s father is in the army. We haven’t been able to contact him yet. We just want to make sure she’s pregnant first,” he murmurs.

The doctor nods his head and leads me over to the examination table.

            “How long since your last period, Skye?” he asks.

            “I’m only late by a-”

            “2 months,” Matt interjects smoothly.