Chapter 4

---------- Chapter 4 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV)

I push Skye’s door open slowly. I want to surprise her! It’s been way too long since I’ve surprised her.

A huge smile creeps its way on my face at the mere prospect of seeing my other half and I silently laugh at myself. I’m behaving like such a teenage girl!

The midmorning sunlight floods her room, but she’s still in bed. Her toes poke out under the covers, but the rest of her body is covered.

I smirk to myself as I take in the room. I’ve never actually been up here. We usually meet in the main building itself.

I quietly walk around the room, picking up her clothes and books from off the floor. A pair of guy’s shoes in the corner catches my eyes and the next thing I know, I’m kneeling on the ground examining it.

Why does Skye have a pair of guy’s shoes in her room?

I straighten up and scrunch up my nose at the smell of alcohol. Has Skye been drinking? It seems a little out of character. She must have gone for some party last night. That would explain why she’s still asleep.

I push the thoughts of the guy’s shoes out of my mind as I walk over to Skye’s bed.

Just as I’m about to wake her up, the sudden presence of an Enmortal has my head snapping up. I walk over to the door cautiously. I take a deep breath and pull it open in one quick swing, mentally preparing myself for a possible conflict.

But at the door stands little Eva, wearing a mischievous look.

               “Eva, what are you doing here?” I whisper, crouching down in front of her.

               “I wanted to see Aunt Skye!” she insists, wrapping her little arms around my neck. She kisses my cheek before pulling back, peering at me intently with her green eyes. “Please don’t be mad uncle Den!”

I grin at her. How could I be mad at her?

               “I’m not mad, don’t worry sweetie. But your momma and dada are not going to be pleased,” I whisper.

She widens her eyes, biting her lip guiltily.

I pat her head and straighten up. I hold my hand out for her and she takes it happily. “Don’t worry, I’ll take you back real soon. I was just about to wake Aunt Skye up. Wanna help me?”

She nods her head eagerly, pulling me into the room.

She climbs onto the bed and I lean back against the wall, watching Eva on Skye. Boy, is Skye gonna be shocked!

Eva pats the sheets impatiently, obviously wondering why Skye isn’t entertaining her.

Spoilt little thing!

I hear Skye’s quiet moan and I see her toes wriggle.

               “Eva, why don’t you pull the blanket down and give Aunt Skye a kiss to wake her up?” I suggest.

Eva nods her head seriously. She tugs down the cover and lo and behold!

Skye isn’t alone on her bed.

She’s sleeping with some other guy.

Clothes are still on – which is comforting, to a certain extent – but it doesn’t change the scene before me.

               “Uncle Den? Do I wake him up too?” Eva asks innocently.

I can’t respond though. I’m too shocked.