Chapter 28

---------- Chapter 28 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV)

I sit on the bed, watching Skye sleep.

It took hours for me to calm her down enough for her to actually let herself fall asleep. She was afraid we’d have a repeat performance of the fire.

I wanted Skye to have a normal life – or at least as normal life as a Wraith could have. But it looks like that’s impossible.

There’s something out there that wants to harm her.

I’m not even sure whether my fake assassination was someone trying to get to me, or torture Skye. The more I think about it, the more I think I have little to do with this whole situation.

I could just be a pawn in this chess game, and Skye the king piece.

Heh.

Though, if you think about it, if Skye is the king, then I should be the queen, the one protecting the king!

That’s irony for you.

I get off the bed, walk over to a corner and patch a connection through my crystal with Matt. I suppose he should know what’s going on here.

               “Good morning, Your Highness,” he greets politely. He obviously still thinks I’m mad at him.

               “Matt, it’s Haden. Anyway, I’m with Skye,” I sigh.

Matt studies me a moment before concern clouds his expression. “What’s wrong? Is she hurt?”

               “No. Thankfully. I found her in a groove about an hours’ drive away from the Institute. She said the voices in her head forced her to leave her dorm room,” I explain.

               “Haden...it may not be as serious as we think. She could be tired or under stress or something? Maybe it isn’t some vengeful spirit trying to harm her?” he suggests.

I smile bitterly at that.

               “It definitely isn’t a vengeful spirit,” I agree.

He remains silent for a moment before he furrows his brow. “I don’t get it. What happened?”

               “I drove us back to the Institute...and when we got to Skye’s room...it had been razed by fire. I’m starting to think the voices in Skye’s head, the ones that made her leave...well, I think they were protecting her,” I admit.

               “But...the voices started with Sean-”

               “Exactly. Maybe he does care for her?” I whisper, dropping my gaze.

Skye knows he actually does care for her.

What will happen when it turns into a conflict between him and I? Will she side with him? If she does, will I be able to do my duty to my people, or will I allow my feelings for Skye to blur my vision?

               “Haden?”

Skye’s voice is soft and full of apprehension. She sits up on the bed, rubbing her eyes in the most adorable manner possible.

               “I’ll call you back, Matt,” I mumble, disconnecting the connection and crossing the room to sit on the bed.

               “Are you alright?” I ask, stroking her cheek.