Chapter 10

---------- Chapter 10 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “Come on, let’s go in,” Haden suggests, nudging my shoe.

I look up at him and nod my head, trying to keep my panic at bay. The airport is nice, of course, but also so intimidating! The security guards are frightening, the glass look is intimidating and the metal scanners – where we are heading – is downright terrifying!

               “You okay Skye?” Haden asks, helping me carry my duffel bag.

               “Fine,” I squeak before taking a deep breath. “I’m fine. Just...excited,” I lie.

Haden smiles warmly down at me looking oh-so proud of himself.

The eight of us walk over to the security check in and I can feel my knees begin to knock against each other. And I’m wearing shorts! Anyone who’s looking will see how scared and pathetic I am!

Eva is frightened too. But she’s a little kid, its fine for her to be freaking out. Matt and Fatima are cooing to her comfortingly, telling her what to do. I listen in, trying to absorb every word they say.

Blaine and Sienna go first. They put their bags into the scanner and step through the little door like detector. Neither one of them sets it off though. So they just walk on over, making it look so easy.

And so it goes.

Everyone clears the detector without a problem. Alex gets patted down though, but he makes it looks so normal. If that was me, I would be hyperventilating!

               “Babe? You okay?” Haden asks again, as I stare the metal detector down.

I nod my head jerkily, trying to fix a smile on my face.

               “Right. You wanna go first?”

               “Okay,” I mumble.

I take a deep breath. I step through the metal detector and it immediately beeps loudly. I feel my heart constrict in my chest as I begin to panic. A uniformed lady approaches me, her face serious.

               “Did you take off everything metal?” she asks in a bored voice.

I bob my head up and down, my heart in my throat.

               “Babe, your belt!” Haden calls from behind me.

I silently thank god and walk back to the scanner. I remove my belt and place it through the scanner and make attempt number two through the detector. Again it beeps.

I glance up at the uniformed lady in fear.

               “Relax, miss,” she mutters. “Hold your hands out and keep your feet a shoulder’s width apart.”

I comply quietly as she runs this small little thing over me. Thankfully this time it doesn’t beep. And just like that, I’m free to collect my stuff.

Haden steps through the detector and he sets it off as well. But he’s the picture of calm. He spreads his arms and allows the male officer to check him. In half a minute, he’s right next to me, collecting his own stuff.

               “Skye, you’re a little jumpy. You feeling okay?” he prods.

               “Me? Fine. Excited, is all,” I mutter.

He gives me a piercing look but drops it. Haden leads me to our gate where the others are already waiting. I take a seat and the butterflies in my stomach begin reproducing.