Chapter 22

---------- Chapter 22 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The next day)

I sit up groggily in bed. It must be pretty early in the morning; it’s still a little dark out.

Sighing, I lie back down, resting my cheek on Haden’s chest.

He was completely zoning out the whole of yesterday. The worst part is that he won’t tell me this so

called plan he has!

                “Can’t sleep?” he mumbles, bringing his hand up to stroke my hair.

                “Did I wake you up?” I ask instead.

                “Nah, don’t worry about it. I can’t really sleep either,” he admits softly.

I drape my leg over his, getting comfortable before finally deciding to break the silence.

                “Are you worried about what went down in Persephone?”

He sighs audibly and gently pushes me off him.

He swings his legs over the side of the bed and sits up.

                “Are you all packed, babe? We have to set off for the airport at eight,” he mumbles, changing the topic.

He always does this! Instead of confiding in me, he pushes me away.

                “Why do you always push me away?” I whisper, my voice quivering.

Haden glances over his shoulder at me, lying in a miserable little ball. “I’m not pushing you away! I’m protecting you,” he insists.

                “You aren’t protecting me! You’re scaring me!” I mutter.

Haden laughs darkly, the sound so foreign to me. “Believe me, if I told you the truth, you would be much more afraid!”

I gnash my teeth together in frustration. Here we go again.

I sit up on the opposite side of the bed, my back to his.

                “I’m your partner. You should be open with me!” I hiss.

                “You’re my partner, that’s why I have to protect you!” he retorts hotly.

                “You’re treating me like a child! And you wonder why I don’t want to get married?!”

The moment the words leave my lips, I know they’re a mistake.

That isn’t it at all!

                “Oh? Maybe I’d stop treating you like a child if you stopped behaving like one!” he quips bitterly.

And that crosses the line.

I stand up angrily, grab a pillow and toss it at the back of his head.

Haden gets up and faces me, his eyebrow raised.

                “You’re making my point!” he mutters.

                “I’m not childish! You’re the only one who doesn’t realize it! I’ve grown up, Haden! Maybe you would know if you spent some bloody time with me!”

Haden’s eyes narrow and I feel a tinge of fear set in.

I’ve seen Haden mad…I definitely don’t want to be the reason behind his irritation.