Chapter 38

This chapter is dedicated to you! Yes, YOU! Without you lovely readers, there would be no reason for me to write! All the characters in my head thank you too! :)

Enjoy the chapter!

------------ Chapter 38 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “We will carry on with the ceremony!” Dean Adler announces loudly.

I’m beyond that though. I saw the look on Haden’s face. He’s afraid of something. If I was the one wearing that look, he would be by my side in a heartbeat. And that’s what I got to do for him.

God, I really hope it has nothing to do with his father. But there is the gnawing suspicion in my chest that that must be it.

Poor Haden!

I push my way past the other graduates. I’m almost at the door when I’m stopped by the Dean himself. I have no idea how he got to me so fast, but he rests a hand on my arm.

               “Miss Callahan, I understand your distress. Just finish the ceremony and you may leave,” he says.

I shrug out of his grip.

               “You don’t get it! He needs me!” I insist.

               “Callahan, Skylar.”

My name is announced from the stage. The Dean gives me a not so gentle push in the direction of it.

It wouldn’t make much of a difference. I still need to get to my room and use my crystal to call Haden. I can’t disapparate.

I hurry onto the stage, take my scroll, smile for the cameras and then sneak out the door.

I flat out run back to my dorm building. I grab a bag from under my bed, stuff some clothes in and grab my crystal off the bedside table.

I concentrate on Haden and wait for him to answer. But he doesn’t.

This does absolutely nothing to calm me down.

Images of Haden lying on the ground, clutching at his chest, play in my head. He was holding his chest in the hall just before apparating. What if he can’t breathe? What if he apparated into his bedroom and nobody knows he’s there?!

What if at this very moment he’s gasping for help but nobody comes?!

I take a couple of deep breaths to calm myself down before I concentrate on Matt.

Again, no answer.

Come on guys! I need you guys to let me know what’s happening!

I try Alex next and again, nothing.

Now I’m afraid.

What if Haden isn’t sick? What if the war begun?

I don’t know who else I can go to. Who can help me get to Persephone? My family can’t. And even if they could, it would take hours to get to them.

I don’t think Fatima has a crystal. Haden said only the highest ranking of Enmortals have them. As far as I know, Fatima is a healer – an exceptionally gifted one – but a healer nonetheless.

And then it hits me!

Another Enmortal I know who happens to be in the Institute; Ellis!

I shoulder my bag and run down the stairs, back to the hall.