Chapter 39

---------- Chapter 39 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s now Saturday morning. The king was cremated following the Enmortal royal family tradition yesterday. And so, today is the day when the palace is open to those who want to pay their respect.

For the better part of the morning, Haden’s been herded from group to group. Everyone wants a chance to comfort the grieving prince.

               “You watch him an awful lot,” Fatima says, coming to stand beside me.

I give her a small smile and nod my head.

               “I’m actually kind of expecting him to just snap,” I admit.

After that first night where he broke down, Haden’s been powering through these past few days like a champ.

He doesn’t smile or laugh or make jokes, but he doesn’t cry anymore though. To be honest, he doesn’t seem to be able to show any emotion.

               “He seems fine,” Fatima says, studying him.

Haden’s across the room, talking to a group of elderly men. They are all impeccably dressed. They must be the High Council or whatever it is.

               “That’s my point. How can anyone be okay so quickly?” I point out.

Fatima thinks about it for a moment before a frown takes over her face. “You really think he’s just going to flip out?”

               “If he’s pushed too far,” I say. “Do you know some people are actually taking this as their opportunity to introduce their daughters to him?”

Fatima gasps, looking horrified!

               “Yeah,” I mutter sullenly. “Imagine how I feel!”

She just wraps her arm around my shoulder. “I was talking to Matt just a little while ago. The both of us were impressed by how well you are handling yourself and Haden.”

               “Thanks...I think?” I mumble.

Does she mean I usually handle myself badly?

Fatima chuckles quietly.

               “It’s a compliment. Trust me. You’re behaving like a true queen. Without you, do you really think Haden would be semi-alive now? No way! He would probably still be locked up in his room,” she says.

I smile at her.

I guess I’ve finally managed to do something right. Besides, it’s the least I can do. Haden’s always been the one I lean on. I guess it’s about time he leans on me too.

Matt and Alex walk up to us, the both of them watching Haden.

I think they are worried he’ll snap too.

               “You think we should go rescue him?” Matt asks.

               “Yeah, he looks sad,” Fatima says.

Matt nods his head.

I don’t see it though. He looks blank to me. I see no flicker of emotion on his face. And to be honest, I’m a little afraid.

               “I say Skye does it!” Alex says, smirking. “Go waggle your ass and he’ll follow you like a puppy!”

I roll my eyes at him, but the blush creeps its way onto my face.