Chapter 29

---------- Chapter 29 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haden takes my hand firmly, the moment we walk out of the Empath’s house.

I honestly don’t see the reason we went to him in the first place. Sure he’s sensitive and what not, but that doesn’t mean he’s right!

I’m not possessed or psychotic or whatever the hell he was trying to imply.

And the worst bit is Haden has that worry crease between his eyebrows. He’s in deep thought, and I know what about – he’s definitely trying to figure out how to fix me.

               “I’m not broken,” I sigh under my breath.

Haden glances down at me curiously. “Pardon?”

I sigh, clearing my throat. “I said, I’m not broken,” I repeat, a little stronger this time.

               “I never said you were, love,” he says, looking just a little unnerved.

I totally nailed that one in the head!

I drop the subject and keep walking to the car. Before we make it though, Haden stops me. He turns me around to face him.

               “What do you mean, Skye?” he asks, tucking my hair behind my ear.

               “Doesn’t matter,” I mumble under my breath. “Let’s just get back to the motel. You look like you could use the sleep.”

He cups my jaw. “Please?”

And it works of course – just as he knew it would!

               “It’s just what your friend said. He makes me sound like some kind of psycho who could snap at any time...and a minute ago, you had the look on your face,” I say.

               “What look?”

               “The look that says you’re worried and that you think you need to fix me. But you don’t...because I’m not broken. He’s just crazy!” I sigh, crossing my arms.

               “Baby, I believe you. I know I can be sceptical at times, but when push comes to shove, I’ll always believe you. And as unlikely as the scratches you have are, I believe you didn’t do them,” he insists.

I was not expecting that.

               “So you don’t think I’m nuts?”

               “Nope,” he says confidently.

               “Not coo-coo? Not bonkers?” I press.

He chuckles, kissing my nose. “Like I said, I believe you, babe.”

               “That’s a relief,” I whisper under my breath before I’m taken over by another thought. “Hay...if you believe me, why did you have that look on your face? You were concentrating so hard.”

Haden pauses as if trying to think of a good way to say something. Naturally, my stomach clenches.

               “Don’t worry,” he murmurs, pulling me against him. “I just wanted to ask...whether you’d like to go home for the weekend? You haven’t seen your mom and sister in a long time. Surely you miss them?”

               “I do miss them,” I admit. “But I also haven’t forgotten what they said the last time... mum specifically told me to leave,” I remind him.