Chapter 40

---------- Chapter 40 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haden just freezes.

Sasha turns to Henry, a glower set on her face. She turns back to Haden and rests a hand on his arm.

               “I am so sorry, Your Highness. I never meant for you to find out...like this. Please accept my sincerest apologies,” she says.

Haden nods his head but takes a step back. It’s almost as if her touch is too much for him to handle.

               “I...wow...is it me or is it really hot in here?” Haden mutters, loosening his tie. “I’m just going to get some fresh air.”

               “I’ll be right with you, babe,” I say.

He makes a quick retreat and then it’s just me and...hmm, the late king’s secret family?

An awkward moment passes and my stomach growls.

I blush furiously.

               “Sorry. I haven’t eaten since...umm, yeah. Are you guys hungry? Maybe we could sit down and talk a little?” I suggest.

Sasha smiles hesitantly.

               “We wouldn’t want to intrude, Lady Callahan. We just had to come and pay our respect,” she says.

I nod my head.

               “I get that. It wouldn’t be an intrusion at all. I don’t exactly live here or anything, but I’m pretty sure I have Haden’s permission to do whatever I like here,” I say, attempting a joke.

Hanna gives me a forced smile and Henry flat out glares at me.

Oh!

I lead the Bailey’s - or would the children be considered Carter’s? – to the kitchen. That’s a baffling one!

A few minutes later, we’re seated in one of the private kitchens. I rifle through the fridge, finding some leftovers from the night before.

               “Can I get you guys something?” I call over my shoulder.

A chorus of ‘no’s greet me and I continue prepping my dinner. I should probably heat some up for Haden as well.

               “Are you just going to pretend the giant pink elephant isn’t in the room?” Henry finally explodes.

I sigh and set my plate down on the table. I take my seat and chew on my bottom lip for a moment.

               “Look, Henry...I get that you’re upset and angry. But...you have to realize how much of a shock this is to Haden and me for that matter. Neither one of us had any idea of your existence and then you suddenly waltz in here telling Haden that you’re actually his half-brother?” I mutter.

Sasha ducks her head.

               “We are so sorry. I never intended to tell him. I thought I would talk to his mother...let her decide how and whether she wanted to tell him. Henry’s just had a rough past couple of days,” she whispers.

               “No, he deserves to know. It’s just that...” I trail off, not sure what else to say.

I’m about to continue my sentence when there’s a knock on the door. The four of us glance up at Haden who stands awkwardly in the doorway. He’s back in jeans and a t-shirt and looks uncomfortable out of his mind.