• thirty five: part two •

Trey

"Talk to me about what? What's going on?" I looked at my mom with concern. She looked anxious, as if something was wrong. And the fact that she came here all the way from Virginia instead of simply calling me has me feeling like this is something serious.

"Um...where's Kelly? Is she alright?" she asked.

"She's upstairs and she's fine...that doesn't answer my question though."

"I think it would be better if I tell both of you at the same time."

"Mama you're kinda scaring me. Are you okay?"

"Yes I'm fine but--"

"Trey who's at the door?" Kelly shouted, coming down the stairs in her robe. She gasped, "Mama April?! Watchu doing here?"

"Girl why are you walking like that?" my mom asked her.

"Um...I pulled a muscle."

I looked down at the floor trying to stop myself from laughing.

"Mhm, yeah sure." my mom smirked and looked at us.

"Anyways." Kelly said laughing. "Trey, why didn't you tell me mama was coming?!"

"I didn't know she was coming, Kelly." I replied.

"You came all the way to LA without calling first?" Kelly said, looking at my mom. "Is everything okay?"

"She said she has something to tell us. Well we both here mama, so what is it?"

"Well..." she was about to start talking when Kelly's phone started ringing.

"Trey, the restaurant calling me." Kelly said, holding her phone up to me.

"This late at night? That's weird."

"I know right? Well i'ma still answer anyway." she said shrugging.

"Hello?" she answered.

"...Huh? ...Right now? ...Um okay. Give us like half an hour." she hung up and looked at me. "They want us to come down there right now. They said they wanna show us something. It's urgent."

"You think we should go? Should we call the attorney first?" I asked.

"Nah, let's just go and see what happens. I think we can handle it. We'll call him if we need him."

I nodded. "Alright let's go."

"Let me go put some clothes on." Kelly went back upstairs. I looked at my mom and sighed. I forgot she doesn't know about this situation.

"Come on mama, let's wait in the car. I'll explain everything later."

****

"I'm sorry Ms. Rowland. I know it's late but we had to show this to you as soon as possible." The restaurant owner said to Kelly. We were in his office and he had his laptop in front of him.

"Whatever it is, it better be worth it." Kelly mumbled.

"Oh it is. This whole situation has been just as confusing to us as it's been to you. That's why we chose to investigate more. We ran through our security tapes from the night you were here and well...I'll let you see for yourself." he turned his laptop on and pulled up some footage.

"What is this?" Kelly asked.

"This is from our kitchen. It appears that a couple of individuals snuck inside while our chefs weren't there. A lot of it is blurry, but I know for a fact that those two are not associated with the restaurant in any way."