• twenty three •

Kelly
Monday, May 8

"Okay, run that beat back from last time. I got some lyrics," I said to Derek, sitting down.

Okay, I know I told Trey that I was gonna look for a new producer but...Derek is the real deal. If I want this next album to be my best one yet, I have to go with a producer who is really good at what they do. Besides, I've been working with Derek since Trey was in Petersburg. Even though I only went to the studio once while Trey was in Virginia, it was a very long session. I ended up recording a bunch of happy and positive songs that day, hoping that it would've made me feel better about Trey being gone. It clearly didn't, because I went right back to being depressed and didn't step foot in that studio again for like a whole month. But ever since me and Trey got back on track, I've been going to the studio about three times a week. Long story short, I've been working with Derek for almost three months. So I can't just fire him.

"Oh word? Someone did their homework," he joked.

"Ha ha," I said sarcastically. "Just play the song so I can bless your ears."

I took out my notepad while he shuffled around on the computer to look for the instrumental. He looked at me to see if I was ready and I nodded.

"Now this is just a rough draft," I warned. "I wanna make sure it's perfect before I eventually go into the booth and record it."

"Yes ma'am," he chuckled. I cleared my throat and hummed a little to get my voice warmed up. He clicked something on the computer and the instrumental started up. I instantly started nodding my head. I really love the beat, I'm not gonna lie.

I'm waiting, anticipating
For you to give it to me
Boy I tried to hold it inside
Heart racing, my body's shaking
Cause when you give it to me
Boy you are the truth I can't lie
Ask me what it is, this is love

This is love
And I can't get enough of you
And boy it's alright
I'd be a fool to give it up
Cause this is love
Baby all that I need is you
And boy it's alright
Boy it's alright

Don't wake me, I must be dreaming
Or maybe meditating
Cause boy I'm levitating so high
So amazing, places you take me
Cause when I think about you
I swear you got me gone on cloud nine
Ask me what it is
This is love...

I continued to sing the whole song with my eyes closed. I opened my eyes when it was done and saw Derek staring me down. My eyes widened a little. That was a little creepy.

"So...what did you think?" I asked. His lips curled into a smile.

"Amazing," he complimented.

"Aww, thanks. So there's nothing I need to fix?"

He shook his head no.

"You sure?"

"Kelly, it's perfect, trust me," he insisted. "I think you're ready to go in the booth now."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

"Nah, I don't know if I'm ready--"