Chapter 45

Chapter 45 - Watching & Waiting

Vulcan Romanov's P.O.V.

I watch as my beasts slam against the unbreakable glass of the cell, even though they have done this almost every day. It's tiring to watch and I hate that they have taken control. I can feel their rage over our mate being hurt, they miss her as much as I do. It feels like something was torn from us and left a gaping hole in our chest, waiting to be filled again when she wakes up.

If she wakes up.

With one last furious roar, my beastly form slumps against the walls of the cell and transforms. I blink in disorientation, feeling weird yet highly relieved to be back in my human form again. Groaning at my healing cuts, bruises and welts, I pull a nearby blanket over my bloodied form. I'm too weak to put on clothes just yet.

Aurora's condition had stabilized within four days, allowing us to return to my pack. This was two weeks ago. Indigo had just given me my last dose of Wolfsbane and silver, enough to knock my beasts out for a day or two. In that time, I would go and visit my mate who still has not woken up. It kills me inside whenever Indigo will shake his head solemnly in reply to my questions about her.

I sigh, wincing in pain when I feel blood trickling down my neck from an open wound that is currently in the process of healing. I watch as Indigo opens the door to the cell and walks in with a stack of papers, taking a seat on the cement floor beside my exhausted form. He does this every time I will be given control over my human body again.

"How's the pack?" I ask, resting my head against the cold wall.

"They're alright...worried about their Alpha and Luna, but they're okay." He nods, scribbling something on a piece of paper.

I nod with a sigh, taking a paper and pen and starting on the unfinished pile. "I'm sorry I've unloaded all this crap onto you Indigo."

He chuckles, violet eyes meeting green. "I'm your Beta, Vulcan. It's my duty to help you run this pack."

I smile appreciatively, clapping him on the back. We get down to work with me catching up on all that I have missed out on. The cell is finally silent for once as we sit there on the concrete floor, only the sound of pen hitting paper reaching our ears.

***

I walk down the hallway of the pack's infirmary, staring ahead. My pack members look on sadly, knowing their Luna has yet to wake up. I have left my duties to be locked up in a cell instead, otherwise I would be murdering anyone and anything that came in my way. I can feel the imbalance in the air, knowing the absence of both the Alpha and Luna is taking a huge toll on the pack.

Yes, I still complete my office work but being an Alpha you must be present too. And that is the one thing I'm not doing right now. Sighing, I stop in front of the familiar Alpha suite, staring at my gorgeous mate through the window.

All that matters right now is her.

And it will continue that way until she wakes up.

Taking a deep breath to steel myself, I push open the door and step in, shutting it behind me. Turning, I stare at her. Aurora lies on the bed, cold and pale with her small hands resting by her sides. Her eyelids are shut, dark and long lashes barely touching the soft skin of her cheeks. Those lips that I long to kiss are a pale pink now.