Chapter 33

Chapter 33 – Trouble in Paradise

I wake up to sunlight streaming onto my face, disturbing me from my slumber. Cracking my eyes open, I wince at the sting from crying last night. I turn around to see if maybe Vulcan had come back to bed but the other side, where he usually sleeps, shows no signs that he returned during the night.

My chest tightens in sadness and I swallow down a sob, quickly making my way to the bathroom with a bundle of clothes in my hand. I can't stay here any longer, deciding I'll go to school and spend as much time as possible at my house after.

Hurriedly brushing my teeth and washing my face, I change into my clothes and grab my phone, slipping my laptop and chargers into my large shoulder bag before swinging it on and walking out the door.

I rush down the stairs, freezing when I hear a familiar laugh echo through the room. Looking up, my jaw nearly drops when I see that it's Vulcan who has laughed at what Chloe had said. She's practically glued to my mate's side, much too close for my liking.

Everyone turns to look at me when they hear my footsteps. I glance at Vulcan to see him gazing at me with no emotion at all, a hard look in his eyes before he turns and walks away without a backwards glance. My heart shatters as I stare at him, wanting to scream and ask what exactly did I do wrong for him to behave this way. My eyes snap to Chloe in a hateful glare as she follows behind, grasping his shoulder and looking up at him as she whispers something.

If any guy did that to me while he was present, he would throw a hissy fit but apparently it's okay when it's him? Feeling the waterworks and anger rising, I give them a shaky smile before rushing out the door. I hear Caia call my name, the sound of her footsteps following me before she gives up at the entrance. Running down the driveway, I make my way to the pack house and straight into the infirmary.

Kaden is sitting on the edge of his bed, talking animatedly to someone on the phone but immediately hangs up when I burst into the room on the verge of tears.

"Can we skip today?" I pant, swiping a traitorous tear from my cheek.

"What happened?" He growls, making me shake my head, indicating that I don't want to talk about how I got hot and heavy with the Alpha only for him to turn me down and then proceed to treat me as if I'm nothing to him anymore.

He sighs and leads me out of the pack house, placing an arm around my shoulders and tucking me into his side to partially hide me from the stares I'm receiving from the pack members. Can't a girl cry in peace? I wonder, trying to calm down my breathing.

We are just about to get in his car when he stops and brings me to a halt. I turn back to see him looking the other way and when I glance in that direction, I suddenly wish that I hadn't. They are all outside now, and Chloe is waving goodbye to Vulcan whilst Caia and Nikolai get in their car to go to school. I sniffle, noticing the small smile on Vulcan's lips, a sharp contrast to the hard expression he gave me just moments before.

Kaden looks down at me, his eyes lighting up in anger before they soften. "Let's go milady, I know this awesome gelato place that needs new flavors to be tested."

I chuckle when he opens the door and bows down, waving at me to get in. I know I can always count on him to cheer me up, I only hope that when he needs someone to return the favor he will think of me.

Getting in the car and strapping my seat belt on, I glance out the window to see Vulcan storming his way over to us, a furious expression on his face as he yells at Kaden, who only closes his door and starts the car, reversing before turning the car around. He pulls down the window as we pass Vulcan before yelling.