Chapter 15

Chapter 15 – Time & Gelato.

An owl hoots in the distance as I watch the trees sway in the gentle breeze. The moon shines clear in the midnight blue sky, no clouds in sight. I feel hopeless. It's a feeling that's frustrating me to no end.

Driving around aimlessly, I finally found myself at a park in the next town. After Vulcan had explained to me about what he was and what I meant to him, I asked him for some much needed time to process things, as it was all very overwhelming. He protested but eventually, he agreed that it would be best. 

The more I think about it, the more my self-esteem drops. There are so many doubts in my mind and I find myself thinking that I won't be enough for Vulcan. He's a Lycan King and I'm just an ordinary human, how am I supposed to lead with him? 

The news of Vulcan finding his mate has already spread and the members of Damon's pack are not going easy on me. People are ridiculing and criticizing me, whispering about how I'm pathetic and weak, not fit to be a Luna nor a Queen. Day by day, they're breaking my confidence to the point where I can't stand it anymore and have stopped visiting Damon and his family. 

Maybe they're all right? I wonder to myself, my heart aching with hurt. Vulcan can have any woman he wants for a mate, a werewolf who's strong and perfect; who will be accepted as someone worthy of leading by his side. 

I sigh loudly and shuffle my feet, I'm currently sitting on a swing in an empty park. I needed some time in a quiet place to figure out the jumbled thoughts in my mind. But throughout all this, I had not noticed a figure walk up to where I sat, jumping out of my skin when they laid a hand on my shoulder. Shooting up from my seat, I turn around to see the boy pull off his hood, revealing a familiar face.

Kaden Reid.

''What are you doing out - wait, why are you crying?'' Kaden steps closer to me, wiping away my tears with his thumbs. ''Aurora, what happened?''

I shake my head, pulling away and wiping my wet cheeks once more, the cold air drying them quickly. Feeling his gaze on me, I look back only to bite my lip at the concerned expression on his face. 

"It's nothing, just thinking about some things." I sigh, swinging slightly. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks gently, making me shake my head as I stand.

I feel a sob rising in my throat, causing me to turn around and start walking up the pathway to where my car is parked. I don't want him to see me cry, I won't be able to explain it to him. I hear rushed footsteps before Kaden is in front of me, blocking my path. Looking up at him through blurry eyes, I'm about to speak when he does.

"Want to go for some gelato? I know of a place."

Immediately, a soft laugh escapes me. The moonlight reveals the smile on his lips and the hand that waits for mine to grasp. Sighing, I nod before taking it and letting him lead me down the pathway and into town. My gaze sweeps across the city lights, the pumping music emitting from open nightclub doors and the lit-up windows of countless, independent boutiques.

We walk for a long while until I find myself standing outside the cutest gelato place I have ever seen. I barely have any time to admire it before I'm tugged inside and pulled to the counter where a colorful selection of various flavors are showcased in a glass cabinet. After a long argument over which flavor is the best, I end up trying out a gelato mixed with blueberries and blackberries. Kaden hates pistachio but tries it out because I dare him to and obviously, he needs to "maintain his rep."