Chapter 3

Chapter Three - Kidnapped

I walk across the yard, the noise of students laughing and chatting before the final bell rings making me nervous. I gulp when their curious eyes stray towards me, the question in them prominent; who is the new girl? My black locks curve around my neck, like a scarf providing me with some warmth. Alex jogs up beside me and wraps his arm around my shoulders, making me sigh in relief.

Turning to where the office is, I let Alex guide me into the cozy space and up to the desk where an aging lady sits, seemingly in her late forties. Her head snaps up and she greets us with a dazzling smile, easing my tension a little. At least she seems nice, I think whilst peering at her name tag which reads, Helen.

"Hello dearies, is this Aurora Maxwell you told me about Alex?" She asks making me step further once I hear my name.

I nod, managing to greet her and tell her I'm a new student. She hurries to get my timetable and locker combination before instructing Alex to go to class as someone else is already signed up to show me around. I mentally plead him with my eyes not to leave me with a stranger, but he only sighs dejectedly before telling me that he'll meet me at lunch.

I watch him go before turning back to the lady who has a blue plastic folder in her hands that, I assume, contains all my documents. I take them from her with a smile and open it up, making note of my locker combination and pulling out my timetable.

"Ah, Kaden!" Helen greets making me turn around to see a boy who has entered the office and is now leaning against the wall with a bored look on his face. "This is Aurora Maxwell. You'll be showing her around."

He grunts before mumbling for me to follow him. Glancing at the lady with wary eyes, I let out a sigh and walk out the door when she motions me to go with her hands. I leave to find him already walking into the next hallway, making me yelp and run to catch up with him.

He looks down at me with amusement flashing in his icy blue eyes. "Slow much?"

"Eager to finish this tour much?" I mutter, my eyes widening when he chuckles meaning he heard what I said.

"Eh. I've been in detention way too much so they decided to make me a tour guide. Hopefully, I'll learn my lesson." He mocks, making my laugh at his high-pitched tone.

His jet black hair is exactly like mine but the bright hallway lights lighten the top strands to a dark brown. I can see a white band t-shirt underneath his black leather jacket and a few bracelets on his wrist. He has olive skin and seems very muscled with rugged features, an angular jawline and cheekbones. He seems to be pulling off the bad boy look easily.

"Dude," I breathe. "If you had grey eyes, we'd be twins!"

Surprisingly, his lips stretch into a crooked smile and the ice in his eyes seems to melt. We walk on with him taking hold of my timetable and telling me which room is where and showing me the cafeteria, the library, my locker, etcetera. Then he guides me through a worn down section of the school and up a flight of stairs.

Apparently, it was once the English department but is now being renovated. We push through a wooden, creaky door out onto a platform where there is nothing in sight except for cracked cement slabs, broken wood planks and windows that are partially shattered. Gesturing me to follow, I sit down on the ledge with him, placing my bag behind me.

"What are we doing here?" I question, smirking when I see Sophia and Alex running laps around the track.

"Would you like to be doing that right now?" He points to the field and when I shake my head, he grins. "Then that's why we are here because gym is your first class."