Chapter 46

Chapter 46 – No Longer Sleeping Beauty

Aurora Maxwell's P.O.V.

Darkness surrounds me yet I'm aware of my surroundings; I can hear noises. I feel restless. He has yet to come see me again and perhaps that is the reason why I feel so agitated. I long to hear his voice but it feels like I must wait years before I can hear the familiar husky, deep sound of him talking. To know that he is near, reassures me that I'm okay. As if floating in nothing but darkness is fine.

I wait, like every other day when I feel like this. My restlessness would increase to a point where I would get frustrated and then, he would be here. I feel angry over the fact that I can't move and speak no matter how much I want to. Often, I feel like crying out in frustration only for no sound to escape my lips nor reach my ears.

A longing ache blooms in my chest and for the first time in so long, I can feel something in my body. I know he won't be visiting me today but I don't want to wait any longer. I crave to wake up and find him, not the other way around.

I try moving my fingers and my legs, only for them to remain still. Anger rises within me at my own incompetence to move. I struggle to say something or release a sound only to hear nothing. Growing frustrated, I try again and again, feeling my chest tighten in panic over the thought of being sucked back into darkness again.

I try with all my might, pushing against some sort of barrier that makes me want to scream as I will myself to open my eyes. Feeling like giving up, I breathe out a sigh of relief when light hits me, making me flinch in surprise. I groan, covering my eyes with my hand. When they finally adjust to the light, I look around the white room with blue decor.

With a startling realization, I can now see every particle of dust in the air around me. Glancing around, I can see every detail that was once not as defined but is now clear and sharp. I sit up, my body thrumming with renewed energy. Getting off the bed, I walk into the bathroom, hearing every little sound outside this room; from footsteps to the little chattering of people in the waiting room, a coffee machine working and pen hitting paper.

A shocked gasp escapes my lips when I see my reflection in the mirror. My skin has a healthy glow, the blue specks in my eyes are now brighter and more noticeable than before. Instead of my hair being the shoulder length I always keep it to, it now falls to my waist in soft, loose curls. It's shiny and healthy, silky soft as I run my hand through it.

I'm definitely a few inches taller and my body looks slimmer. My skin is flawless, not a spot in sight. The scar I used to have on my right arm from when I was younger has also disappeared. I run my hands down the hospital gown I'm wearing, the movement causing it to reveal my mark. My fingertips caress the new mark, the indentation of teeth much deeper than before. 

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, wondering what had happened. Images of being in Texas, in the car where Vulcan had marked me again all came back to me. I still, feeling around in my mind for him. I can't feel his presence but I do feel our mate bond.

I whimper suddenly, hunching over when I feel excruciating pain through the bond. I must grip onto the sink to steady myself. Vulcan, I think, anger rising within me at the thought of someone hurting him. I make my way out of the bathroom and swing the door open, nurses and people freezing when they notice me. Natasha stares at me in shock before she jumps up from her seat, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Aurora, I can't believe you're back! Let's get you inside while we call the doctor for a check-up." She smiles with tears in her eyes, trying to lead me back into the room.