Chapter 24

On Sunday I walk down to breakfast, nervous about seeing George. Fred and I spoke for a little while yesterday, trying to clear the air. I got a bit upset and yelled and cried, but he was very calm and comforting. Which of course didn't help since when he hugged me I wanted to rip his throat out and drain his blood, but it was still nice on his behalf.

The Gryffindors aren't at breakfast yet, so I go to the Ravenclaw table to eat. Lucas and the other boys are sitting down one end of the table. I feel awkward about talking to Lucas, so I avoid looking at him and sit down the opposite end.

“Uh, hey.”

Well, that worked. I look up at Lucas, feel my cheeks heat up. He sits down opposite me, looking awkward.

“Look, I know you said you're not interested,” he says, “that's fine, but I don't want things to get weird between us. Can we still be fri-”

“Hey,” Fred appears beside me, making me jump, “sorry to interrupt. Do you want to sit with us?”

I glance at Lucas. He looks hurt and unsure.

“Uh, give me a minute,” I tell Fred. He looks over at Lucas, then forces a smile and walks away. I stand up, feeling a little shaky.

“I don't mind being friends,” I tell him, “but I don't want things to get any more complicated than they already are. So... If where're friends, then we're just friends, okay?”

“Yeah, of course,” he nods eagerly, “just friends, got it.”

I give him a small smile and walk over towards the Gryffindor table. Angelina and Alicia beckon to me. Fred and George are facing away from me, but Fred looks over his shoulder as I approach and he smiles at me. I feel a sharp pain as my fangs force their way out suddenly. My stomach twists and I change my course, hurrying out of the Hall instead. I run outside and around the corner, keeping my hand pressed over my mouth. My eyes are watering with pain. My fangs have never come out so fast before.

I touch my gums and find blood there. I retract my fangs, wincing. Okay, it looks like I can't get too close to Fred. I think this is going to be problematic.

“Aurelia?”

I hear Fred and groan inwardly. I wish I could turn into a bat! There's nowhere I can hide, I'm completely exposed. I look up at the castle considering if I could scale the wall, but decide against it. Fred rounds the corner and I clamp one hand over my mouth.

“Are you okay?” he asks, uncertainly. I nod, holding my breath. He steps forward.

“What happened to your mouth?” he asks. My fangs are straining to come out.

“Tooth ache,” I gasp out, “I have to go.”

I push past him and run inside. This is great, just peachy. How am I supposed to fix things with George when I can't go near Fred? Maybe if I stick garlic up my nose...

I wander up to the dormitory and find Georgiana with her notes spread all over her bed, jotting something onto a graph. I shift some of the notes and sit down.

“I need to tell you something,” I say. She looks up at me, chewing the end of her quill.

“What's up?” she asks. I take a deep breath.

“You remember how I told you we smell blood and some blood is more attractive to us than others?” I blurt, “well, I smelt... Someone's blood, and it was the best thing I've ever smelt. It's not my fault, but I can't stop thinking about it. Every time I'm around him my fangs come out, I can barely concentrate, and-”