Chapter 18

So, just a warning. This chapter gets pretty dark towards the end, so if you're easily scared or whatever, then don't read from the ***STOP*** part.

____________________________________________

“Mum, I'm late!” I exclaim, “it's fine!”

I press the tape down on my neck and throw my scarf on.

“Darling, you didn't finish your blood,” Mum says. I sling my bag over my shoulder.

“I don't have time!” I cry, “I need to go now!”

I dash out and run through the village. Before I can reach the gates I have to slow to a walk. I am so unfit.

I hurry up the grounds and reach the castle as the bell goes. I sprint up the four floors to Transfiguration, arriving as the class is filing in. I'm panting and sweaty, but I'm not late. I walk into the class room. George is already sitting at our desk. I look over at him longingly. He looks up and catches my eye, smiling. I take a step in his direction, but Professor McGonagall clears her throat. I look at her and she arches an eyebrow. I sigh and sit down in a desk on the other side of the room. I glance at George who looks confused. I look down at my desk. This is not going to be easy.

“Miss Dunmore, could you wait behind, please?” McGonagall calls as the bell goes. I knew this was coming and hadn't even stood up yet. George stops in front of my desk, but before either of us can say a word McGonagall has ushered him out. When the whole class is gone I stand up.

“I don't think this is fair,” McGonagall says as I move towards the door. I pause and look back at her.

“But we have to respect your mother's wishes,” she says, “go on, you'll be late.”

Professor Burbage holds me in all through break. She tries to make it seem as if she just wants to talk about heat lamps, but I know that she's doing it so I can't see George. When I walk into Defence I don't even bother looking at George. I just sit down and get my book out.

“Aurelia,” Lupin calls, “can you list five ways to fight off a grindylow?”

I ignore him. I don't want to talk to anyone if I can't talk to George.

“Aurelia?” he presses. I feel a tear slide down my nose and drop onto the parchment, smearing the ink.

“Okay, can anyone else tell me?”

After Charms I step out into the corridor, feeling like I could throw myself off the Astronomy tower. If only that would kill me.

“Ari!”

George is hurry down the corridor towards me.

“Hey-”

“Miss Dunmore!” Flitwick appears behind me, “don't you have somewhere to be?”

“I was just-”

“Mr Weasley, step inside for a moment, we need a word about your essay,” Flitwick says. I sigh and walk down to the village.

“Drink you blood, darling.”

I stare at the red liquid filling the glass in front of me. I wonder who it came from.

“Aurelia, what did your mother just tell you?” Dad chimes in. I don't move. The thought of eating anything makes me feel sick. I briefly considered refusing to drink blood until I was allowed to be with George, but I know that that would be worse for him than my parents.

“Did you have a good day at school?” Mum asks. I bite down on my tongue. Yeah. I had a GREAT day at school. Stupid...

“Aurelia, answer your mother,” Dad snaps, “I'm tired of you acting like a spoilt child.”