Chapter 15

“Good evening, dear,” Mum says, walking out in her dressing gown, “did you sleep well today?”

“Yes, thanks,” I say, “can we go? The train will be arriving soon, I don't want to be late.”

Mum sits down on the end of my bed.

“You won't be late,” she says, “do you like all your presents?”

I look around at the piles of gifts from my uncles, aunts and cousins. I haven't had time to sort and put them all away yet.

“Aren't you taking any of them with you?” Mum asks, picking up a black dress from one of my cousins, “this is very cute. You could wear it to Hogsmeade.”

“I haven't had a good look at everything,” I confess, “I only woke up a little while ago.”

“You should look through them, pack a few things,” Mum says, “I'll go and get dressed, have breakfast and then I'll take you to the station.”

She walks out and I sigh. I pick up the dress she was looking at and hold it out at arms length. It's made of black velvet. It has a scoop neckline with three-quarter length sleeves. There's a huge black bow fastened on the waist to the side. I open my bag and place the dress on top. I looks through more of the presents. They really are beautiful. I pick up another dress. It's like the black one, but without the bow and in a deep red. I pack that one too. I put in a few pairs of jeans and a couple of tops. I have to sit on my trunk to get it closed. I'm still sitting on it when Mum returns, dressed in a long, black dress with a matching cloak.

“Ready, darling?” she asks. I stand up and she snaps her fingers. My bag disappears.

“Where's Dad?” I ask, walking out with her.

“Downstairs, darling,” she says, “waiting at the door.”

We walk downstairs and I see him standing with my bag.

“Goodbye, Dad,” I say, giving him a hug.

“Have a good term,” he says, “work hard, good luck in your exams.”

“Thanks,” I smile.

“And tell George,” he says firmly. I roll my eyes. Mum picks up my bag and holds out her arm. I take it and in a flash we're standing on Hogsmeade station. It's empty and the train isn't there, so I guess we're early.

“Do you want me to wait, precious?” Mum asks.

“No, that's okay,” I say, pulling my bag over to a seat, “I'll be fine, they shouldn't be too much longer.”

She gives me a hug.

“Be good,” she says, “if you need anything-”

“I'll write,” I say, hugging her back, “bye Mum.”

She disapparates and I sit down to wait. Snow is falling lightly. I stare down the track and see a small light in the distance. I cross my fingers, hoping it's the train. I stare at it intently. I hear the horn and leap to my feet. A few moments later the train pulls into the station. I watch eagerly for George, but there're so many students that the platform is full. I pick up my bag and head towards the carriages. I climb into a carriage and search the thinning crowd for the twins. I see Angelina and Alicia and wave them over. They pass their bags up to me and I help them climb up.

“Have a good Christmas?” I ask as they get settled.

“It was brilliant,” Angelina says, “George said it was your birthday yesterday. Happy birthday!”

“Yeah, happy birthday,” Alicia echoes.

“Thanks,” I smile, “so you've seen the twins then?”