Chapter 45

The term flies by and suddenly it's the 19th of September. Since there's no ball on this year I have to go home for the holidays, so I'm looking forward to spending as much of today as possible with George before we go home tomorrow.

"Morning!" I greet Alica and Angelina cheerfully.

"Morning," Angelina yawns, stretching, "ugh, I don't feel like being a person today."

"Last day of term, though," I point out, "have you seen the twins?"

"No, not since dinner yesterday," Alicia says looking at her watch, "they'd better hurry, though or they'll miss breakfast."

We hang around as long as we can, but once the food disappears I rise with a sigh.

"I guess I'll see them in potions," I say to Georgiana as we head upstairs to Defense.

Umbridge is in a particularly foul mood. She storms into the classroom and throws her wand onto the desk.

"Read!" she yells. I exchange a glance with Georgiana before we both bury our noses in our books.

As soon as the bell rings we practically sprint from the classroom.

"Gee, what had her knickers in a knot?" Georgiana mutters as we head downstairs.

"I have no idea, but the twins had better be careful with her or they'll end up in detention with her."

We walk into potions and I look around for the twins. All the other Gryffindors are there, except them.

"They haven't been to any classes," Alicia says when we join her and Angelina, "no one has seen them. Their little brother and sister seem to have disappeared too."

"And Harry Potter," Angelina adds, "maybe there was a death in the family."

"I hope they're okay," I murmur.

During dinner I scrawl off a note to George asking him where he went and if everything is okay, then hurry to the owlery before Earth Studies. I watch the owl soar away and sigh quietly.

The next day we leave the castle in the midst of a snow storm. I huddle close to Georgiana and Alicia, with Angelina pressing in on the other side for the whole trip down to the station.

"I c-c-can't wait until I can apparate alone," I say, my teeth chattering.

"Only a couple of weeks!" Georgiana points out, "are you having a party?"

"Uh huh," I nod, "I'll send you invitations!"

They get on the train and I wave them off. Dad arrives a few moments later.

"Phew, cold, isn't it?" he asks, picking up my bag, "let's get you home, your mother is beside herself."

"Why, what's happened?" I ask anxiously. Dad smiles slightly.

"Wait and see," he says, holding his arm out.

As soon as we arrive in the foyer I hear my mother shriek from upstairs.

"Aurelia! Oh, darling!" she yells, whisking down the stairs, "oh, there's hardly any time!"

"Mum, what's going on?" I ask, pulling my cloak off.

"Your party, darling!" she exclaims, "our baby is turning seventeen!"

"Oh my gosh, Mum!" I laugh, "you scared me half to death! We've got plenty of time!"

"No, we do not!" she says, tugging on my arm, "come and see the arrangements so far."

We walk into the library where she has taken over the desk with fabric swatches and colour themes.

"Mum, I'm turning seventeen, not getting married!"

Mum doesn't take any notice.

"Now, of course, purple and gold are the traditional wizard colours," Mum says, "but if you don't like them-"

"They're fine."

"Excellent, in that case we'll get the dress started immediately," she says, signing something with a flourish and handing it to Dad, "Drago, darling, see that that is sent away immediately, will you?"

Dad bows out gratefully and Mum pushes me into a chair.

"Now, Aurelia, my darling, I need your guest list," she says, holding up a quill, "I already have all the family down, just your friends."

"Uh, Fred, George, Georgiana, Alicia and Lee," I say, feeling a little struck, "but Mum, I want something simple, quiet, I-"

"Darling, it will be elegant, beautiful," she says, scrawling names down, "now, we're doing a masquerade party-"

"Oh my goodness."

"-so everyone will have to get a mask. These are the invitations."

She hands me a stack of them and I have to admit, they look really cool. They're cream against black with lacy trim.

"Now, would you like a blood cake?" Mum asks.

"Mum."

"What?"

"Humans," I point out. She sighs.

"Right," she scribbles something out, "I suppose I'll have to warn everyone to be at their most human, then."

"Yes, please."

"Now, we have to talk about the coming of age traditions," Mum says seriously, sitting opposite me.

"Mum, no," I say desparately, "not with my friends there."

"Aurelia, you know that we have to observe them," Mum says firmly. I groan and lean back in my chair.

"How am I supposed to pretend that I'm a normal English teenager when you're anointing me with blood?" I ask.

"Well, what do you suggest?" Mum says.

"We could have the party with my friends during the day and the other, uh, 'festivities', at night?" I suggest. Mum ponders this for a moment. I can tell she's not keen.

"Mum, part of the ceremony is drinking blood," I point out, "humans just don't do that."

"What if we tell them it's dyed syrup?" Mum suggests, "you know that no other vampire would drink from the cup, so neither will they."

"It's so risky," I stress, "and so, so weird."

"I'll discuss it with the Count," Mum says. I groan loudly.

"No, Mum, he's not invited!"

"Aurelia-"

"He's so dull!"

"Aure-"

"And so uptight!"

"Aurelia, he has to be here," Mum says, "he's the oldest living member of our bloodline."

"Ugh, he's such a drag, though," I complain, "and honestly, how the hell is he supposed to blend in as a human?"

"We'll tell your friends he's a Dracula enthusiast," Mum says with a smile, "but you know it would be unforgivable not to invite him."

"I know," I sigh, leaning back in my chair, "Mum, can all the weirdness wait until they've gone home?"

"I presumed they would all stay the night," Mum says lightly. I sit up straight, horrified.

"No," I say firmly, "no way, they are not stay in this castle of Vampires for a night. They'll get eaten. Or pneumonia! You know they feel the cold more than we do."

"Alright," Mum says finally, "after they've gone home we'll perform the rituals."

She sighs as if I've taken the fun out of everything.

"Georgiana," I say, "Georgiana can stay. If you put some proper heating in my room while she's here."

"Fair enough," Mum agrees, "why in your room?"

"I do not trust her alone in a house of vampires," I say firmly. Mum rolls her eyes.

"We wouldn't drink all her blood."

"Let's just get this planning finished," I sigh.