Chapter 42

After the dinner George sends me one or two letters, but I don't respond. Mum drops me off on the first day of term, muttering tearfully about how it's my last first day. I just climb into one of the carriages and wait. Finally the train arrives and a group of sixth year students climb into my carriage.

I sit at the Ravenclaw table and greet Georgiana happily when she arrives. We talk quietly for a little while and I fill her in on the details I left out of my letters. Eventually the sorting takes place, then Dumbledore introduces us to the new Defense teacher. She stands up and gives a speech, something I've never seen done at Hogwarts before.

Once she sits down I turn to Georgiana.

"She's going to be fun," I say sarcastically.

After the feast we head upstairs, enjoying our last few hours before we go back to grind of school work.

"I can't believe it's our last year," Georgiana says, "we won't be coming back next year. Do you know what you'll do yet?"

"I have no idea," I say, "I just want to survive this year before worrying about anything else."

"Aurelia! Georgiana!" Alicia and Angelina catch up to us and give us a hug.

"How were your holidays?" Alicia asks as we keep walking upstairs.

"Pretty quiet," I say, "yours?"

"We went to Italy," Alicia says, "it's was fantastic! The food!"

"What about you, Angelina?"

"It was pretty quiet too," she says, "my parents were pretty rattled by the whole Dumbledore thing."

"Mine too," Georgiana says, "they tried to convince me to go to a different school for my final year, but I said no way."

We reach our parting point and I say goodnight.

"Oh, you're not coming up?" Alicia asks, surprised, "I thought you'd want to see George."

"Not tonight," I say shortly, "see you in the morning."

We walk up the opposite flight of stairs and into the common room.

"Are we playing Avoid George now?" Georgiana asks as we walk up to the dormitory.

"No, I just don't have anything to say to him," I shrug. Georgiana looks at me in concern.

"You're heading for a break up there," she says, getting into her pajamas.

"Right now, I don't even care," I say, getting into bed.

"You will."

"Maybe."

"Definitely."

"Shh."

We get our time tables at breakfast the next morning.

"They're exactly the same as last year," Georgiana says, "and oh my god, you didn't drop a single subject!"

"I survived last year, didn't I?" I shrug.

"Uh, yeah, but your hair started falling out," she points out.

"I'll be fine," I say dismissively, "at least we'll get to see what Umbridge is like today."

"If she's as horrible as that pink thing she's wearing, I hate her already," Georgiana says, crinkling her nose.

I laugh at her.

"Come on, let's not give Snape a reason to deduct points on the first day," I say, standing up. We pass by the Gryffindor table without a second glance. Unfortunately, the Gryffindors have potions with us, so I can't avoid them forever.

"You're avoiding me," George says, sitting down next to me.

"Shh," I shush him as Snape glides in.

"Aurelia, I-"

"Ten points from Gryffindor," Snape drones, "turn to page fifty-seven."

Luckily for him, George remains silent the rest of the lesson and I leave happy with my potion. I have Charms after potions, while George has a free period. Which unfortunately means he can follow me to class.

"Aurelia, why are you ignoring me?" he asks.

"I'm not," I say, "I just don't really have anything to say to you."

"What, because I believe Harry?" he asks, frowning, "since when did he become the only thing we talk about?"

I pause outside of the Charms classroom for a moment.

"I don't know how I feel about you right now," I tell him, "I was so angry at you before dinner that night, then after... I've just felt empty ever since."

"So, what? Are we breaking up?" he asks. I shrug.

"I have to get to class," I say quietly.

After class is break and I'm half expecting George to be waiting outside the classroom. I'm more than a little disappointed when he's not. The next time I see him is at lunch, but we sit at our own tables and don't interact.

We have Muggle Studies and then Defense. We're all looking forward to seeing what Umbridge is like as a teacher.

"Good afternoon, class," she says. There's a pause of silence and she tuts.

"When I say 'Good afternoon' you will respond with 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge'," she says, "let's try again. Good afternoon, class."

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," we drone.

"Better! Now, you can put your wands away and get out your books," she says, "we will be studying chapter one today."

I glance at Georgiana who shrugs.

After a whole lesson of reading a brain numbing book, we all slouch out of the classroom.

"Well, she is the worst," Georgiana mutters, "I'm going to go and eat myself stupid. Well, stupider."

"Save me something," I sigh, "I have Care of Magical Creatures."

"Oh yeah," she sighs, "well, see you later, then."

I drag my feet down to Hagrid's cabin, hoping that the skrewts are all dead. I knock on the door, but there's no reply. I wait around for a little while, then head up to dinner. Georgiana is sitting with the Gryffindors. For a moment I consider joining her, but I can't bring myself to do it. I make eye contact with her, then walk over to the Ravenclaw table. Georgiana joins me a moment later.

"What happened?" she asks.

"I dunno, Hagrid wasn't there," I say.

"Well, at least you get dinner!" she says brightly, "so, the Gryffindors are planning a party for this weekend, just for our year."

"I'll pass," I say coldly, glaring at the back of George's head. Georgiana splashes water on me.

"What was that for?" I demand.

"For being a brat," she says, "you're so mad at him because he disagrees with you."

"No, because he brushed me off all summer for something completely illogical!" I protest.

"It doesn't make a lot of sense, but neither does a baby destroying the greatest dark wizard known to man," Georgiana counters.

"What, you believe it?" I ask disbelievingly, "you think You-Know-Who is back?"

"Yeah, I do," Georgiana nods.

"I can't believe it," I say, "I thought you'd have more sense."

"Ditto," she snaps, standing up, "you're not always right, Aurelia."

She walks off and sits down with the Gryffindors. I look at my dinner, but I'm not hungry, so I pick up my bag and head upstairs.