Chapter 43

The second day of school seems to drag by. Georgiana sits with the Gryffindors at meal times and it's almost a relief having to skip meals for classes. During dinner I sit and watch Georgiana and the Gryffindors talking and laughing and sigh deeply. I know I have to fix this and it's better sooner than later.

I get up and take a deep breath, ready to eat my slice of humble pie. I walk straight over to George and try to ignore the others.

"Hey," I say awkwardly, "could, uh, could we talk?"

"Sure," he says hesitantly. Relieved, I turn and walk out the doors. It's still light out, so I step out into the grounds. George follows me, looking apprehensive. There's a long, awkward pause as we stand opposite each other, neither of us looking at the other.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry for the way I've been acting," I say, "I really don't know what's been wrong with me."

"So, do you believe Harry now?" George asks, studying my left shoe. I feel a little taken aback. For a moment I consider lying, but I can't.

"I don't know," I say honestly, "it doesn't make sense to me, but you're not stupid. Neither is Georgiana. And Dumbledore certainly isn't. I really don't know what to think, but either way, whether he's back or not, I don't..."

I reach out and touch George's face, making him look around at me.

"I don't want to break up," I say.

"Me either," he says, looking relieved, "I thought that's what you wanted to talk about."

"No, not at all," I say, hugging him tightly, "I was so, so angry at you for brushing me off all summer, but I understand why you had to do it."

"I hated doing it," he says quickly, "honestly I did. I felt awful every time."

"Let's just put it behind us," I say, "move on."

He grins at me happily.

"Do you want to join us for desert?" he asks, holding out his hand. I take it, but shake my head.

"I have class," I say regretfully, "but I have lunch free tomorrow. Maybe we could have it together, just the two of us?"

"It's a date," he says, "now, can I kiss you? It's been months."

"I guess," I laugh. He leans down and kisses me hard.

"George!"

We break apart, breathless. The Gryffindor Quidditch team is standing a few metres away.

"We have try outs now!" Angelina snaps. George rolls his eyes at me.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he says, moving off to join the team. I watch him walk away, feeling deeply relieved that that went so well.

The first Saturday of term we're all sitting together at breakfast again. Georgiana is sitting opposite me, reading the paper.

"There was a sighting of Sirius Black in London!" she says, I notice Fred and George glance at each other.

"What?" I ask them.

"Nothing," they chime, far too innocently. I frown slightly, but don't press the issue.

"What're we doing today?" Fred asks, stretching, "and Angelina, don't even say the word 'quidditch'."

"Don't you guys have homework?" I ask, thinking of the pile I have waiting for me upstairs.

"Actually, now you mention it, yes," George says, "come on, Fred."

"Those skiving snackboxes," Georgiana sighs, folding the paper up, "come on, then, let's go get stuck into the work."