Chapter 47

The first day of term brings about the news of the escape of ten death eaters from Azkaban.

"Starting to believe us yet?" Fred asks as I read over the paper. I swallow hard and nod. George puts his arm around my waist.

A few days later a new decree is released: Teachers are not allowed to give information other than lessons.

"This is insanity," I mutter as we walk passed Filch nailing it to the wall. Fred and George exchange a look.

"What?" I demand, "what was that?"

"Nothing," they say, walking quickly into the Great Hall. I sigh, they've been very secretive lately. Ever since we got back from holidays they've been spending most of their time sitting in a corner of the common room, talking quietly. They always stop if anyone joins them and leave shortly after.

This behavior continues all through January and into February. I barely have more than a quick hello/goodbye to George each day before he disappears off with Fred.

On the thirteenth of February, the day before Valentine's day and the next Hogsmeade visit, I sit with the girls on the sofa in front of the fire, talking about the Twins.

"It's so odd," Alicia says, "they're usually so much more lively. Even in DA meetings they've been quiet."

"Do they eat?" Angelina asks, "I never see them at meal times any more."

"I only see them in class," I add, "and even then they seem distracted. Do you think it's their dad again?"

"No, Ron and Ginny are fine," Alicia says thoughtfully, "maybe it's Quidditch?"

"They seemed okay last term, after a bit," I point out, "I'm sure they're up to something."

"Speak of the devil," Georgiana says, nodding to the portrait hole. The twins climb in and come and sit down with us.

"Evening, ladies," Fred says jovially.

"Oh, speaking to us now, are you?" Angelina asks, "we're honored."

"I don't know what you mean," Fred says, "we were just talking about Hogsmeade tomorrow, I thought we could all go together, but George wants to take that one on a date."

He jerks his thumb at me and I look up at George, raising my eyebrows.

"If you'd like to," he says quickly, "I know we haven't had much time together lately."

"Okay," I agree. Fred rolls his eyes.

"So now I'm left alone," he sighs, "What about you, Angelina?"

"I'm going with Lee, actually," she says.

"Alicia," Fred says imploringly, "please?"

"Sorry, I've promised McGonagall I'll help some of the first years with their transfiguration," she shrugs. There's a slight tension as Fred looks over at Georgiana.

"I'm going with Jacob, from Hufflepuff," she says, "sorry, looks like you're on your own."

"Well, this is just awful," Fred sighs, "I guess I'll have to tag along with George and Aurelia."

"Absolutely not," George says firmly. Fred slumps down across our laps.

"What's the point of it all?" he asks dramatically.

"It's the way of the world, Freddie," Georgiana says, stroking his hair, "you win some, you lose some."

"Hmm, not such a fan of the losing some," Fred says.

"Ah well, welcome to the unfairness of life," she laughs. He grins at her and for a moment I think there's something more in his eyes, then he blinks and it's gone.

"Well," he says, sitting up, "I suppose I'll go and have a shower, all alone."

"Do you usually shower with someone?" Georgiana teases. Fred glances over his shoulder at her.

"Maybe," he says with a wink. We watch as he gets up and walks upstairs.

"He's ridiculous," Georgiana says to George. George nods in agreement.

"He definitely got the flair for drama between the two of us," George says, "I'm going to head to bed, I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Sure," I agree.

The next morning I meet George at breakfast. We both decided on our first Valentine's Day that it was stupid and we wouldn't get each other gifts or cards, so that takes the pressure off. I still took a little bit longer getting dressed this morning, though, and let Georgiana put my hair into a Dutch braid.

"So, what's the plan for today?" I ask George as we walk down to the village. He links his hand with mine and swings his arm.

"I was hoping we could have a bit of a chat," he says lightly.

"Mhm, about anything in particular?"

He blushes and shrugs, which I know immediately is a yes.

"Let's just enjoy the walk," he says.

When we get down to the village, I pretend to be feeling cold (I noticed a few girls walking ahead of us were shivering) so we go into the Three Broomsticks. It's already packed, so I go to find a seat while George gets us drinks. I manage to nab a booth as some people are leaving and a few minutes later George pushes through the crowd with two butterbeers and sits opposite me.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" I ask. George shifts uncomfortable.

"It's kind of awkward," he says hesitantly. A horrible thought strikes me.

"George, are you breaking up with me?" I ask.

"No!" he exclaims, "no, no, no! The opposite! Aurelia, I want to take the next step."

"You're going to have to be more specific," I say, "because if you're proposing, then you really need to find a better way of doing it."

"No," he laughs, "I meant more... Physically."

"George, if you can't say the word 'sex' you're probably not ready to be having it," I say with a smile.

"Sex, then," he says, "I mean, sometimes it seems like you want to, but then you pull back. I don't want to push you into anything, I want us to be able to talk about this stuff."

"I know," I sigh quietly, "George, I want to, but... It's so complicated."

"What is?" he asks, "is it... A religious thing?"

"No!" I laugh, "no, it's not religious. It's... George, it's just complicated."

"I don't know why you won't tell me," he says quietly, "I tell you nearly everything."

"Nearly?"

"Well," he shrugs, "it seems we both keep secrets."

"My secret is bigger than yours, though," I tease. George laughs.

"Is it a competition, now?" he asks, "cause mine are pretty big."

"Bet mine is bigger."

"I'll tell if you do," he says. I bite my lip. This is my chance to come clean.