Chapter 38

Georgiana gets back late the day before term starts and I fill her in on the limited gossip. The main item of interest to her is my new ability to turn into a bat, which she takes no time in demanding to see.

"I can't do it alone yet," I tell her, "I'm trying to fit lessons in with McGonagall."

"Aurelia, where the heck are you supposed to fit those in?" she asks, "your schedule is already over-full! Plus, apparation lessons are starting soon!"

"I know," I groan, "at least those are on Saturdays."

"You're going to go crazy," Georgiana says in a matter-of-fact way as we walk into the Entrance Hall. I ignore her and start towards the Ravenclaw table.

"Let's sit with the Gryffindors," Georgiana says. I look at her, surprised.

"Are you sure?" I ask, doubtfully. She nods.

"Yeah, it'll be fine," she says, "come on."

I follow her over, hoping this goes well.

"Hey, Georgiana," Alicia greets her cheerfully, "good Christmas?"

"Yeah, it was great, how was the Ball?"

I notice Fred and Angelina looking uncomfortable, but Georgiana seems okay. She and Alicia are chatting away quite happily, so I turn to engage George in conversation.

"Did you see the sign up for apparation lessons?" I ask.

"Yeah, we put our names down," George nods, "did you?"

"Yep," I nod, "I'll have to take my test a bit later than everyone else, but I can learn at least."

"I can't wait to be able to apparate," George says, "I can visit you all summer."

"You did promise to," I remind him.

"Aurelia, we'd better get to class," Georgiana calls. I kiss George on the cheek and follow her out of the Hall.

"That went well," Georgiana says.

"Yeah, I think Fred was more uncomfortable than you," I say. She shrugs.

"He'll get over that," she says breezily.

I frown a bit. I have a feeling she's not as over Fred as she seems to be.

***

We walk out of our first apparation lesson buzzing.

"Honestly, I must have moved," Angelina says, "that or I'm going crazy."

"Probably the latter," Fred says. Angelina slaps him playfully. I glance at Georgiana, but she doesn't seem phased.

"Hey, what're you doing this afternoon?" George asks me.

"Ugh, studying," I say, "I have two essays due on Monday."

"What about tomorrow?"

"I have a lesson with McGonagall and then more study," I sigh.

"What lesson?" he asks, confused.

"Uh, like a tutorial," I shrug, "so I can, um, keep up with everything."

"How long is that for?" he asks, tugging my arm towards the Gryffindor common room.

"An hour," I say, "I have to go study, you know I can't focus when you're around."

"I'll follow you up to Ravenclaw tower if I have to," he threatens lightly.

"You can't come into the girls' dormitory," I tease, "look, give me two hours to study and then we'll go play Quidditch, okay?"

"Two hours," he says, holding out his hand for me to shake, "done."

"See you in two hours, then," I say, turning towards Ravenclaw tower.

I manage to finish off one of the essays completely. The other is still a first draft, but I'm sure I can get it done tomorrow. I lean back on my bed and sigh. I'm so tired I could just fall asleep. The last thing I feel like doing is playing Quidditch, but a promise is a promise. I drag myself off my bed, grab my broom and head down to Gryffindor tower. Alicia is studying in a corner, so I go over to her and ask if she's seen George.

"He left with Fred a little while ago," she says, "I don't know where they went."

"Thanks."

I leave her and walk down to the Quidditch pitch. I float around the stadium for half an hour, then give up and head back to the castle. I study until dinner, then go down with Georgiana. Fred and George aren't there and haven't arrived by the time we finish.

"I wasted nearly an hour of study time," I complain on our way back to Ravenclaw tower.

"He probably just forgot," Georgiana shrugs, "have you finished your Arithmancy homework?"

"Not yet."

"Let's do it together, then."

I see George at breakfast the next morning.

"Good game yesterday," I tell him, sitting down. He groans.

"I'm sorry, I had detention, I forgot," he says, "can we do a make up today?"

"No, I need to get some work done," I say snappily. Georgiana glances at me, giving me a funny look.

"What?" I growl.

"Let's talk outside," she says, taking my arm. She drags me out of the Hall and glances around before turning to me.

"You didn't go hunting on Friday," she says. I hit myself on the forehead.

"I forgot," I sigh, "I was so worked up about the apparation and animagus lessons..."

"Well, you need to feed soon, you're being... Well, bitchy," she says. I sigh.

"I can't go now," I say, "it's day time."

"You'll have to go tonight, then," she tells me, "if you wait until next Friday you'll be ripping our heads off. Literally."

"I know, I know," I sigh, "fine, I'll go tonight."

"In the mean time, you will be eating a lot of human food," she says, "I need you alert if I'm going to pass Arithmancy."

We start back into the Great Hall, but she stops me.

"Another thing," she says, "you probably shouldn't be around George at the moment. You've have too many close calls already."

"Fine," I huff, following her to he Ravenclaw table. I eat lots and gather up an armful of food for later. As I walk passed the Gryffindors George shoots me a hurt look. I feel a twang of guilt, but know I'd feel a lot more than a twang if I ripped his throat out with my teeth.

By the time dinner rolls around I'm starting to understand why my parents only eat blood. It's only been a little over a week since I fed, but already I'm starting to feel like I'm going through withdrawal. Georgiana is keeping a considerable distance between us.

"No offence," she says, "but you're looking at me like I'm prey."

"You're not... Yet."

"Aurelia, don't joke about that," she scolds, "we both know you could kill me."

"I wouldn't," I say, trying not to stare at the pulse in her throat. She pulls her cloak up over her neck.

"Go now," she says, "before you eat someone!"

I drag myself up to the Astronomy tower. I've taken to leaving my broom in a cupboard there, as it's more convenient. I fly west and find a large city. I'm usually not a fan of city blood as it tastes of pollution, but beggars can't be choosers.

When I finally get back to school and crawl into bed I feel a lot better.

"Nice night?" Georgiana asks, looking at me over the top of her book.

"Mm," I mumble, "lots of blood."

"Gross," she mutters, "at least I don't have to sleep in fear of you killing me tonight."

"No promises..."