Chapter 11

I walk downstairs to breakfast on Friday. I'm excited to be going to Hogsmeade with George. I'm wearing my favourite black jeans and a dark blue jumper. I even put on make up this morning. Just a little, but hopefully enough to make me look pretty. My hair is out and brushed until it's shining. My heart is fluttering.

I walk into the Great Hall and look over at the Gryffindor table. George is laughing at something Lee has just said. I can't help smiling. He looks so happy. I skip over to him and slide onto the seat next to him.

“Morning,” I say, smiling.

“Morning,” he says, grinning, “sleep well?”

“Yep, you?”

He nods and puts an arm around my waist.

“Have you finished eating?” Alicia asks, “we should line up for Hogsmeade.”

“Yeah, let's go,” I say, getting up. George glances at Fred.

“You guys go ahead,” he says slowly, “we have something we need to do first.”

“I thought we were going together,” I frown. George gives my hand a squeeze.

“I'll meet you there,” he says, “it won't take long, I promise.”

He and Fred hurry out of the Hall. I sigh and run my fingers through my hair. Alicia links her arm with mine.

“Come on,” she says, “they're probably setting up a prank for someone.”

We step out into the cold air and Alicia shivers.

“I love the snow and all,” she says, “but I hate this wind!”

Angelina takes my other arm and we huddle together, walking through the snow flurries down towards the village.

“Okay, usually I would suggest a walk, but I vote we go straight for the three broomsticks,” Angelina says, her teeth chattering. I shake my head.

“It'll be packed,” I say, “it's bad enough the cold, but the dementors and the cold...”

I shiver, glancing over my shoulder at the dementors we just passed.

“Where will we go, then?” Alicia asks, tightening her scarf.

“Hogs Head,” I say, “it's pretty rough, but it's warm.”

“Gross,” Angelina whispers as we step in. The little pub is empty except for Aberforth who is wiping down the bar, looking grumpy as always.

“Hey, Ab,” I say, sliding onto a bar stool, “busy today?”

He smirks at me and glances at Angelina and Alicia.

“'Bout time,” he mutters. He places three butter beers on the counter and I push my money over to him. He pushes it back.

“Merry Christmas,” he says, walking out into the back of the pub.

“You know him?” Alicia asks. I nod, sipping my drink.

“When I used to come here by myself I'd drop in on him,” I say, “he's alright, once you get to know him.”

We move over to sit in front of the open fire, our hands cupped around our drinks.

“So, how're you and George getting on?” Alicia asks, stretching her toes out towards the flames. I shrug.

“Fine, I guess,” I say.

“And how're things with Chrissie?” Angelina asks. I scowl and she laughs.

“Still being a cow, huh?” she chuckles, “a cow can't change its spots.”