Chapter 56

After three months at the sanctuary, we have two weeks off over Christmas. I can't wait to see George. I'm in my room packing when Tilly comes in.

"It's so cold," she says, getting into my bed, "you're so lucky you're a vampire."

I laugh and throw her some jumpers to fold.

"How long will it take you to get home?" I ask her, putting the folded jumpers into my bag.

"It takes about thirty-six hours," she says, "but I'm staying here. I can't afford to go back."

"You're staying here?" I ask her, surprised.

"Yeah," she nods, "I knew when I came over that I'd be here for the whole two years. But I mean, most of the workers don't go home. Charlie and I agreed to share a cracker."

"Why don't you come home with me?" I say impulsively, "you'd be more than welcome."

"Nah, I don't want to intrude," Tilly says.

"Don't be silly!" I say, "come on, it'll be my birthday over break. You can meet all my friends and family."

"Can I take notes on the vamps?" she asks with a small grin.

"No," I laugh, "but I can promise you'll have a good time. I'll show you all around London!"

"It does sound tempting," Tilly admits.

"Good, then it's sorted," I say, "I'll get extra tickets. It'll be your Christmas present from me."

I can tell that this makes Tilly uncomfortable, but she smiles and hugs me.

"Thank you," she says genuinely, "it means more than you know."

***

The next morning we set out, Tilly rugged up in several layers, Jennifer and Lucas with us, Andrei was going to his parents' place later on, in the back of Charlie's wagon. He takes us as far as the small town we met him in and wishes us a merry Christmas.

"I have never been this cold in my life," Tilly says as we wait for Uncle Darius who I arranged to take the lot of us to the airport.

"It's not that bad," Jennifer sighs.

Tilly pokes her tongue out, then huddles between Lucas and I. Uncle Darius arrives and we climb gratefully into his car.

"How's it been?" he asks, "any lost limbs?"

"Not yet," I say, "few bad bites and burns, though. Lucas lost a bit of his ear."

"I 'ear ya," Uncle Darius says, then laughs loudly.

"I apologise," I say to the others, but they're laughing. Even Jennifer has cracked a grin.

"How long is the flight?" Uncle Darius asks.

"About three and a half hours," Lucas replies.

"Well, that's not too bad," Uncle Darius says.

The drive takes about the same amount of time. Uncle Darius drops us at the airport, promising to see me soon, for my birthday, and then leaves us to fend for ourselves.

"This is terrifying," Jennifer says, once we've checked in, found our gate and are looking out at the airplane.

"It's fine," Tilly says, "they're perfectly safe."

Jennifer gives the aircraft a suspicious look, then sits down and buries her nose in a book. I exchange a smile with Lucas.

"So, are your parents picking you up from the airport?" he asks.