Chapter 21

I spend the weekend in the Hospital Wing. Georgiana brings her chess set up and convinces me to play. On Monday morning she brings my robes and school things up for me.

“It's the first day of Spring,” she says as I brush my hair out, “a new day! A new start.”

Madame Pomfrey brings my potion over. I drink it without a fuss and pick up my bag. I have to go and have breakfast in the Great Hall this morning. The thought makes me sick to my stomach.

“So, there's something I should tell you,” Georgiana says as we leave the Hospital.

“What?” I ask apprehensively.

“Well, we had a year meeting on Friday night,” she says, “our whole year had to go. Dumbledore gave us a right dressing down, he told us that he was appalled with the way we'd behaved and that we should all think about our actions. He's given detention to Chrissie and a few others.”

“Oh.”

My mouth has gone dry. Georgiana gives my arm a squeeze.

“I think it worked, though,” she says, “a lot of people looked pretty ashamed, especially when Dumbledore said that you'd been given permission to leave the school to help with your family.”

I nod.

“What's wrong?” Georgiana asks, “I thought you'd be pleased! I know I'm glad to have you back.”

I force a smile.

“I'm just nervous,” I tell her, “I'm glad I can talk to you again, though.”

She gives me a shining smile. We reach the marble staircase and start walking down. I can hear the hum of talking and feel my stomach churn. Georgiana has a firm grip on my arm. I duck my head and force myself forward. We walk straight over to the Ravenclaw table and sit down at the end.

“That wasn't so bad, was it?” Georgiana whispers.

I glance down the table. Chrissie and Jessica are sitting apart from everyone. Chrissie looks pale and Jessie has red eyes. Thomas looks down the table and sees me. I look down at my plate feeling my chest constrict.

“Hey, Aurelia?”

I look up and see Lucas, Thomas, Roger, Patrick and Neil standing there.

“Look, sorry about... You know,” Thomas says, “it was stupid.”

“Yeah, we should've known Chrissie was only saying it for the attention,” Lucas says.

“She's a right chav,” Neil adds, “we're, uh, we're glad you're okay.”

“Thanks,” I say, embarrassed. Thomas, Roger, Patrick and Neil walk away, but Lucas hangs back for a moment, looking as if he wants to say something.

“Look,” he says finally, “I know you and George were a thing... But, er, if that doesn't work out, then... Well, I mean... I'd like to take you for a coffee or something.”

He gives me a shaky grin and walks off. I turn and stare at Georgiana in amazement. She laughs.

“Wow,” she says, “George has some competition.”

I shake my head.

“I don't think he's in the competition,” I sigh. Georgiana pushes a plate of toast towards me.

“Cheer up,” she says, “we've got Arithmancy first, you don't have to face him yet.”

She gives me a playful nudge in the ribs and I smile.

“That's the way,” she laughs, “come on, we don't want to be late.”

I have to give Georgiana credit. She's putting a lot of patience and energy into trying to make me smile. By the time we finish third period Charms she's made me laugh once and I'm smiling a lot.