Chapter 58

After the shock of Dumbledore's death I was happy to receive an invitation to Bill and Fleur's wedding. Charlie and I were granted leave for a few days, Kim and Tilly to pair up in our absence.

The plane ride over I'm tense and emotional. Despite frequent letters, I can't believe George is okay until I see him. However, when we arrive in London, no one is there to meet us. I look at Charlie to see if this concerns him.

"Maybe they forgot," he says in a false-cheery tone, "come on, we can apparate."

We apparate to a field some distance from the Burrow and walk down towards the house.

"It feels like years since I've been back here," Charlie says, smiling as the house comes into view, "I guess it has been."

We walk through a protective layer around the house, causing me to shudder. Mr Weasley comes out of the house to meet us, his wand out.

"We have to check you're identities," he says, "Charlie, what was the last thing I said to you."

"'Write more, your mother misses you'," Charlie says. Mr Weasley embraces his son, then turns to me, seemingly unsure what to ask me. Luckily, Fred comes out behind him.

"Ari," he says quietly, "I-"

"Fred, we need to make sure it's her first," Mr Wealsey says sharply. Fred swallows and nods.

"I can never think what to ask," he says, "show me your patronus."

I cast my patronus and the weird creature dances around Fred before disappearing.

"It's her, dad," Fred says. Mr Weasley nods.

"Where's George?" I ask. Mr Weasley and Fred look at each other.

"Oh my god, Fred, what happened?" I demand.

"He's fine," Fred says quickly, "most of him..."

I shove past Fred and sprint inside. I can't remember where the twins' bedroom is and panic for a moment, then sprint upstairs.

"GEORGE! GEORGE!"

"Aurelia!"

George appears from a room and I stop, shocked at the site of half of his head covered in bandages.

"Oh my god," I say, "oh my god."

"Ari, I'm fine," he says, taking my arm, "breathe. Breathe."

I sink slowly down onto the stairs, staring at him.

"Wh-wh-what-?"

"It's a long story," he says, "come downstairs."

He helps me up and we walk down to the living room. George explains about the rescue of Harry, about Snape, the curse. Losing his ear.

"It'll be fine, in time," he says, "it's still bleeding, so I can't take the bandages off."

"Can I see?" I ask. George looks at me uncertainly.

"Please?"

"Alright," he sighs. He reaches up and loosens the bandages, unwrapping them, then peels away the dressing. I feel my stomach drop at the sight of the hole in the side of his head. The wound is still bleeding, not a lot, but enough for concern.

"I can stop the bleeding," I tell him.

"How?"

I glance into the kitchen where the other Weasleys are.

"Not here," I say, "upstairs."

He leads me up to his bedroom and I hesitate for a second.

"This is going to be weird," I say, "for both of us."