Chapter 20

When I open my eyes I can't believe it. I know vampires are tough, but really? I look around. It's dark, but I can tell it's the hospital wing. That surprises me. I hadn't thought that I would survive, obviously, but thinking on it now, I would think that they'd put me in the hospital in Transylvania.

I try to move my arm, and I can, but just. I lift my arm with difficulty and see that it's tightly bandaged all the way up and down. There's a dull ache growing. I can't pinpoint the exact spot where it is. It seems to be all over my body. I close my eyes, hoping I'll go back to sleep and not wake up this time.

The next time I wake it's light, but I'm still alone. The curtains have been drawn around my bed. I hear a bell go. So it's a weekday, then. I want to sit up. My head feels fuzzy. I don't like it.

“Hello?” I call, my voice rough and gritty. I clear my throat and try again. Somewhere to my left a door opens and I hear foot steps approaching. The curtains part and Madame Pomfrey steps inside. She gives me a gentle smile.

“You're awake,” she says, “your parents will be delighted. I'll go and let them know.”

“Can I sit up?” I ask.

“Not yet,” she replies and disappears. I sigh deeply. So much for being free. There's silence. Everyone must be in class. Or maybe at lunch. I hear doors open to my right and foot steps. They don't sound like my parents, though. Professor Dumbledore steps through the curtain and takes a seat in the chair close to my pillows. He looks very serious, but he gives me a kind smile.

“You're lucky to be alive,” he tells me. I snort.

“Lucky,” I sneer, “I'm not lucky to be alive.”

“I'm very sorry that you feel that way,” he says, “I hope we can come to the bottom of why that is and fix it.”

“Good luck,” I mutter. Madame Pomfrey steps into my little enclosure.

“I'm going to remove the bandages,” she tells me, “it'll be a little painful, but you'll feel more relaxed and we can sit you up a bit, alright? Headmaster, could you step out?”

Dumbledore obliges and Madame Pomfrey goes about removing the bandages. As she unwinds each one I feel pressure release in my limbs and sigh with relief. She carefully removes the bandages on my torso and helps me into a hospital gown. She helps me sit up a little and puts two pillows behind my back, then lets Dumbledore back in.

“Your parents will be here shortly,” he tells me. I nod, my mouth dry.

“You won't be in any trouble, I assure you,” he says in a firm, but gentle voice. I don't argue, although I highly doubt it. I lean my head back and look up at the ceiling. I feel lousy. I hear the doors open and the clatter of footsteps rushing down the ward. The curtains fly back and I hear Mum exclaim, but I don't look up. There's no point.

“Darling, we were so worried!” Mum says, pulling me into a hug, “oh, don't ever do that to me again!”

A tear falls from her face and drips onto mine, but I just sigh quietly to myself.

“Aurelia, darling?” Mum turns my face so I'm looking at her, “what's wrong? Are you in pain?”

I shake my head. She pulls me into a bone-crushing hug. Even Dad is standing close beside me with one hand on my shoulder. I wish they'd leave me alone.

“Mr and Mrs Dunmore,” Dumbledore says, “I think we all need to talk about the seriousness of this situation.”

Mum releases me, but clutches my hand.

“Situation?” Dad asks, “what situation? She fell from her broom. It was an accident.”

“It was not an accident, nor will I pretend it to be so,” Dumbledore says, “Aurelia did this deliberately in an attempt to end her life.”