Chapter 13

I wake up on Christmas morning to a knocking on the door.

“What?” I grumble. The door opens and Mum walks in, an owl on her arm.

“It's from Arthur Weasley,” she says, holding a note out to me. I sit up, rubbing my eyes, and take the note.

Something's come up, meet you in the office ASAP.

I leap out of bed.

“Can you take me?” I ask Mum, running over to my closet.

“Of course, I'll wait for you downstairs,” she says, sweeping out. I pull on some jeans, a jumper and grab my scarf and jacket, pulling them on as I run downstairs. Mum holds her arm out and in a second we're in the auditorium at the Ministry.

“Thanks! See you later!” I call, sprinting towards the elevator. The Ministry is practically empty. I dive into the elevator and pound the second floor button. As soon as we reach the floor I dive out.I walked into the office, throwing my hair into a ponytail. It's strange being at the office so early and on Christmas morning of all times. I walk right through to the back and into the tiny cubicle set aside for us.

"Morning, Mr Weasley," I say, unbuttoning my jacket and taking off my scarf, "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas indeed," he sighs, "I'd hoped we wouldn't get called in, but apparently ukuleles have been popular with the muggles this year, and for whatever reason, they've started to explode. Put your scarf back on, we're going out."

"I thought I wasn't allowed to do field work yet?" I say, winding my scarf back around my neck. Mr Weasley pulls his beanie down over his ears and huffs.

"You are now," he says, "we're off, come on."

I follow him to the elevator.

“I assume you can't apparate alone,” he says, “can you side-along apparate?”

“Yep.”

“Good,” he says, striding out into the lobby and holding his arm out. I take it and we disappear. We appear in front of a house that's on fire. It's being put out by a big red truck. There are people standing around, talking to a family of muggles.

“Come on,” Mr Weasley mutters. I follow him over to a short man with a big nose.

“Arthur, thank God,” the man grumbles, “third family today. Can you see what's causing it?”

“Not without a look at the object,” Mr Weasley says, “and from what I've heard there's nothing of them left. Has anyone been hurt?”

“This lot were lucky,” the man says, “it went off still under the tree. The last case, the man had burns covering his whole body.”

Mr Weasley makes a face.

“We'll look into it,” he says, “for now, there's not much we can do except clean up after.”

“We've got the clean up covered,” the man sighs, “memory charms, that business. Who's she?”

“Oh, sorry,” Mr Weasley says, “Dan, this is Aurelia Dunmore, she's doing work experience in my office, Aurelia, this is Dan Sorin, works in Magical Law Enforcement.”

“Nice to meet you,” I say, shaking his hand.

“Mmhmm, you Stephan's kid?” he asks. I nod and he nods and I nod again.

“Well, I'm off,” Dan Sorin says, “the wife's at home with the new baby, and on Christmas! I bet yours is packed, eh, Arthur?”

Mr Weasley smiles humourlessly as Dan walks off.