Chapter 49

George adjusts to the vampire news very well. Although I have to keep reminding him to not make vampire puns in public. "That sucks" was his response. Ha ha, George. Ha. Ha.

The following Saturday is the Gryffindor v Hufflepuff game. The first time in years that Fred, George and Harry have been in the stands. Gryffindor lose. Fred and George are not in a good mood.

"It's not that bad," I say as they march back up to the castle with identical looks of fury, "I mean, it was only by ten points."

Neither of them acknowledge me. I look over at Georgiana who shrugs.

We walk up to Gryffindor tower in silence. Fred slumps into a chair in front of the fire and Georgiana sits down opposite him. George paces back and forth behind them. I glance at Georgiana. She points at George then at me, then at Fred and at her. You deal with him, I'll deal with him. I nod and take George's hand, leading him upstairs. I sit down on his bed while he paces back and forth.

"George," I say softly, "it's just quidditch."

"I know," he says, "it's just so frustrating."

He flops onto his back on the bed and I run my fingers through his hair softly. After a moment he closes his eyes. I keep running my fingers through his hair, finding it relax. Suddenly he grabs my hand, sitting up. In the same movement he pushes me back onto his pillows and kisses me hard. Because of the way we were sitting, I'm pushed up against the head board while George is kneeling between my knees. A bit of a compromising position, should anyone walk in on us.

George's kisses move down onto my neck, making me gasp softly.

"What is it with vampires and necks?" he breathes against my skin, making goosebumps erupt all over my body.

"George, I- Oh!" I jump slightly as he bites my shoulder. I groan and pull his head up so I can kiss him again. I run my hands down his back, digging my nails in slightly. He pulls me close to him, making a soft noise in the back of his throat. He runs his hands over my body and I feel my fangs push out through my gums. Usually I would take this as a sign to pull back, but now that George knows, I don't have to hide them anymore. George starts kissing my neck and and I lean my head back, sighing softly. I swallow, my breathing hard, and my mouth fills with a sharp, sweet taste.

"George, stop," I say quickly, pulling away.

"What?" he asks, surprised, "are you okay?"

I turn away and wipe my mouth with my hand. There's a trail of silver on my hand, which I recognise immediately.

"What is that?" George asks, looking over my shoulder.

"Venom," I say, moving away from him. I go into the bathroom and wash my hands, then rinse my mouth out five times. I walk to the doorway and lean on the frame. George is sitting on his bed, staring at his hands.

"See how dangerous it is?" I say, "I didn't even know we could produce that much without actually biting someone."

George doesn't say anything. I feel tears welling up in my eyes. I walk over to the bed to pick up my stuff.

"I'm sorry," I say quietly, as a tear spills over. George looks up, grabbing one of my hands.

"Don't go," he says gently. I sit down on the bed, leaving some space between us.

"I'm sorry," I say again, "we shouldn't keep doing this, it's not fair on you."

"Aurelia, I love you," George says, "but what you said last week, about expecting to be alone forever... I don't want that for you. If you don't want to be with a human, maybe you should find a vampire to be with. Someone who... Someone who can be with you forever, who you don't have to worry about biting."

I stare at George. He doesn't seem to be able to look at me.

"I don't understand," I say quietly, "are we breaking up?"

"I just don't think I'm enough for you," he says heavily.

"George, no!" I cry, hugging him tightly, "you're more than enough! I love you!"

"But what you said-"

"I was being morbid," I interrupt, tears flowing freely down my cheeks now, "I just spent so long never expecting to find anyone. If... If you really wanted to, if you were sure, I-I'd turn you."

George hugs me tightly.

"I do want it," he says certainly. I shake my head.

"I'm not turning you until we're both older," I say leaning back and wiping my eyes, "that's not a decision you make lightly."

"When we're older, then," he says, pushing my hair back off my face.

"Much older."

"Not too much older."

"But quite a bit."

"Couple of years."

"No."

"Yes."

I laugh and hug him tightly.

"I'm sorry about the sex thing," I sigh, "you have no idea how much I want to."

"I might have some idea," he says, "maybe we could put corks on your fangs."

"You are not corking me!" I laugh, hitting him gently.

"Let's go have dinner," George says, offering me his hand. We walk downstairs and stop dead. Fred and Georgiana are sitting on the sofa. Kissing. Enthusiastically.

"I think we may have competition for the dormitory," George says.