Chapter 27

I swing my legs over the back of thesofa and lie back so my head is dangling off the cushions. My owlAchilles just delivered a note from George. Since the start of summerGeorge and I have been sending each other letters every day. We onlyuse Achilles because if his owl tried to make the journey it wouldprobably die. I glance over at the huge glass window. The sun isstarting to set, so Mum and Dad should be waking up soon.

Mum and Dad have been different sinceI've been home. I think since last year they realised that pushing mefor grades isn't the most important thing. Although that might changeonce I get my OWLs marks back.

I sigh and open the letter from George.

Ari, Dad got tickets to the WorldCup! Do you want to come? Mum said you can stay with us before handif that's easier – In Ginny's room of course! ;) She said we canpick you up and drop you off or whatever is easiest. You could evenstay for the rest of the holidays! Let me know asap – I can't wait!

Isqueal and sit up too quickly, tumbling off the sofa.

"Ow,"I groan, sitting up on the floor. I brush my hair out of my face andscramble to my feet, excitement coursing through me. I'm tempted torun upstairs and wake Mum and Dad up right away, but I know it'sbetter to wait. I pace back and forward in front of the window,chewing on my lip. I can imagine it now, days spent George, talkinglate into the night, no study to distract us...

"Goodevening," Mum says, sweeping into the room. Dad follows rightbehind her. Mum rings a little bell, letting the house elves knowit's time for breakfast/dinner. We all sit down at the table and Itake a few quiet breaths, trying to calm myself. I wait until thehouse elves have brought up two warm pitchers of blood and glassesbefore broaching the subject.

"Igot a letter from George today," I say, swirling the blood aroundmy glass, "his father got tickets to the Quidditch Cup nextweekend. He wanted to know if I could go with them."

"Wealready have tickets," Dad points out, dabbing his napkin at hislip.

"Iknow, but it would be different going with them," I shrug, "MrsWeasley said I could stay with them before or after, until we go backto Hogwarts."

"Darling,no," Mum shakes her head. I slump in my chair, disappointed.

"Whynot?" I complain.

"Darling,you've been sleep walking for the past two weeks," Mum says, "it'sone thing doing it here or even at Hogwarts, but at the Burrow or theQuidditch World cup? Imagine if you woke up not knowing where youwere, without your wand or any way of getting home."

"Plusyou're sleep biting," Dad points out, "ruined my favouritecushion last week. Imagine if that was the Weasley girl."

"Okay,"I sigh, "can I be excused?"

"Notuntil you've finished your blood."

"Ugh,Mum, it's AB," I groan, "I don't like AB."