Chapter 16: Lost memories

☆Rinto's P.O.V.☆

When was the last time I saw her? Oh right. I remember her crying, and hugging me - pleading me to not go. I'm sorry for leaving you. I truly am.
I open my eyes, and feel numb. No pain, perhaps emotionless. I look around, still lying down. I gaze out the window.
Ah, freedom is not free.
The door had suddenly slammed open, revealing a certain girl - a girl whom I had loved. But that love for her disappeared, only replaced with a sibling-like love. She runs towards me and hugs me, sobbing - glad that I didn't leave her.
I then see my younger cousins, both with placid expressions, not even shedding a tear. They had no signs of bereavement, only acrimonious expressions.
I looked at the girl who had finally stopped crying and smiled at me.
"I'm glad you are okay, Rinto." That hit me hard.
It still hurts.

☆☆☆☆☆

◇Your P.O.V.◇

After giving Rinto a visit in the hospital, we took the bus back to the academy. As we sat in the bus, we were enveloped by absolute silence, not even a sound was made from us. Rin looked uncomfortable, and Len - well he looked disturbed.
"Do you think... It's our fault Rinto had this?" Len slowly spoke up.
"We should've done something before this happened," Rin cracked, ready to cry.
"It's not your guys' fault..." I assured, trying to ease the situation.
"Stay out of it [Y/N]," was all Len said to me. I looked at him with a perplexed expression.
"But-!"
"I think you should stop being officious and just let us handle it [Y/N]," Rin agreed.
"I don't understand! It's my fault that he's like this, I shouldn't have-"
"Taken me as your boyfriend."
"Excuse me, what?" I looked at Len shocked. If I chose Rinto, Len would've been affected by the Hanahaki disease instead. Unless...
"It's a lie right? Right? You aren't using me, or playing with my feelings right?"
"Shut up [Y/N]. Stop assuming. All you ever do is jump into conclusions," Rin snapped.
What is going on...? I felt rejected. I just became Len's girlfriend, and I thought that everything was going to a brighter path...
But I was wrong. I guess I did judge too quickly.
"That's fine. I understand you guys are upset. I'll just give you both some time to think things over and-"
"Shut up. Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!!" Len screamed. I jumped. This was really a sudden turn of events, just because of Rinto's state. I felt guilt burning inside of me. The bus slowly stopped at the academy's stop.
I shook my head and stood up, looking around, before looking away.
"Sorry," was all I said before I got off the bus. I rushed to the dorms and went to bed, too stressed to even care how I looked. Too stressed- but not stressed enough to not brush my teeth.

☆☆☆☆☆

The following days went by the same. Everybody ignored me. Rin, my best childhood friend (not much anymore) ignores my greetings. And Len - he called off the relationship. Even my other friends decided to ignore me too.
For the hundredth time, I was alone once again.
This went on for weeks now, and summer break was coming by soon. We only had two weeks of school before we were on break, so I decided to call Kriss as I packed my clothes.
"Eh? Hey [Y/N], what's up?" Kriss said through the phone.
"Hey... Is it ok if you come by and pick me up? Can you also give the school my absent notice?"
"Uhhh.... I'm not sure. Why?" I explained him my situation, from having Len as my boyfriend, to Rinto getting the disease.
All my brother did was say, "Omg," over and over again. I eventually convinced him, and he said he was on his way. I was pretty lucky that Aaron wasn't the one that knows about this.

Please don't let the hanahaki disease get me too.

☆☆☆☆☆

"Why, are you here?" I hissed. Aaron shrugged and tugged my ear lobe.
"If mom and dad were still alive, I'd have them give you a spanking."
"Ouch! Ouchie!" I cried. We finished fighting, and Aaron told me that Kriss was at home, cooking a meal for me.
"Kriss called into the school administration and excused you by the way."
"That's good." The rest of the ride was quiet, with only music in the background. When we arrived home, Kirss ran up to the door and hugged me tight.
I'm home.

☆☆☆☆☆