48: Insanity

Elora carefully balanced seven month old Athena precariously on her hip as she talked to Queen Cora of Archenland.

"So you have five children?" Cora asked, Elora nodded and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Yes. Arian, Eliazer, Ashton, Daniel, and of course Athena." Elora laughed.

Cora smiled and shook her head.

"I can barely get Corin's name right much less five of them." She laughed. Elora opened her mouth to answer when Daniel ran in crying.

"Mummy! Arian and Corin won't let me play with them!" He sobbed. Elora sighed and picked up Daniel with her free arm, it was already past the three year old's bedtime.

"Well, they're big boys and they should have some time to just play together." She said calmly.

"But-"

Elora hushed him and continued to talk to Cora.

"You and your husband are so precious." Cora said. Elora smiled and kissed the top of Athena's head to distract the infant.

They talked for a few more minutes then Ashton and Eliazer came in looking exhausted. They clung to her skirts, whining about being tired and needing to be tucked in. She ignored them and continued to talk.

Arian came in, also looking exhausted and dirty from playing outside for most of the day.

Elora groaned as Arian clung to her as well.

Fortunately for her, Edmund rounded the corner, chatting contentedly with King Lune. When he saw Elora trying to talk with two children asleep and three whining. He chuckled and said his goodbyes to the king of Archenland. He rounded them up took the two sleeping ones in his arms and decided he could carry the next youngest which was Ashton.

He smiled and greeted Cora with a grin on his face.

"Good to see that we have made friends not just acquaintances." He gave Elora a quick kiss and walked off. The two queens laughed.

"Oh, that's Edmund for you. Braving all danger." She said. Cora looked puzzled.

"What do you mean?" A thump and giggles erupted from above them.

Elora shook her head.

"The insanity has only begun, getting them to actually fall asleep is the hard part."