21: Heartbreak

Edmund sat in silence beside Peter. Edmund was going on and off of staring off into nothing and then staring at his sleeping nephew in his arms.

"Why did it happen? Such a joyful day and such a miserable day too close together. She was too little to go." Peter sobbed. Edmund bit his lip.

"I-I don't know. I really don't know. If I did it wouldn't really help though. You have to just keep life going." He mumbled. Peter nodded.

"I know. And I know I should be thankful that Sheth is alright. I really am glad that he survived. I really am. But it doesn't stop hurting." Peter said. Edmund nodded slowly.

"I know." The two kings sat in silence.

Alana had twins, yesterday. But the little girl, Lena, hadn't made it. Sheth was healthy and strong but Lena had died earlier. Although it wasn't exactly such a heavy blow, they knew she was most likely not going to make it it still stung.

Suddenly a small cry echoed through the room as the sleeping baby Edmund was currently holding started to fuss.

"He's probably hungry." Edmund handed Sheth back to Peter for Peter to take to Alana.

Edmund snorted.

"He sounds like you when you don't eat breakfast." Edmund snickered. Peter cracked a smile and stood up. Sheth was still crying.

"Yeah. Like father, like son, I guess." He smiled thinking about it and left the room. Edmund watched. Praying that Aslan would heal the brokenness in both Peter and Alana's hearts.