34: Running

Edmund choked back a sob and ran out of the How.

He heard Lucy chasing him. He ignored her and ran faster.

"Edmund!" She yelled. He turned and closed his eyes, then opened them, his brown eyes blazing with anger and fear.

"They are idiots!" He shouted in her face. She didn't even flinch. Instead her eyes filled with tears.

"I-I know." She said. She placed a hand on his arm.

He sat down on a rock and buried his face in his hands.

"Oh Lucy!" He sobbed. She sat beside him and laid her head on his shoulder. She was silent and Edmund looked and saw she was crying.

He bit his lip and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. She sobbed silently.

"Why did they do that?" She cried. He sniffed.

"I don't know. It's Peter, who knows." He replied dryly. She laughed wetly.

"Sounds like him." She said. Edmund snorted.

"Idiots."

A crack echoed through the woods. Edmund and Lucy looked up to see Susan standing by a nearby tree, a look of sorrow on her face.

"You should talk to him." She stated. Edmund clenched his jaw tightly. He opened his mouth to say something but she interrupted.

"Not now, of course. He's sleeping right now, he cried himself to sleep though." She stated. Edmund sighed.

"I don't want to... not yet." He said. She nodded and turned back to the How.

Edmund started up and looked at Lucy, concern flooding his eyes.

"Is your arm alright? Nikabrik twisted it pretty badly." He asked. She winced as he touched it.

"It's my elbow, running after you didn't help."

He knelt over and felt it.

"It's twisted." He said. She pulled away. He looked up at her.

"Let me wrap it."

"With what?" She questioned. He pulled a strip of cloth out of his pocket.

"You'll never know what Peter will do." He explained as he wrapped.

Lucy giggled. He wrapped it gently.

Edmund smirked and stood up, sitting back beside her.

"Peter is probably not actually sleeping. And if he is he needs to get up, with cold water... lot's of it."