1: Pressure

Edmund looked at Peter. The high king's lips were pressed in a hard, straight line. Edmund looked back at the centaur in front of them, who waited also tensed up for an answer from the high king.

Edmund wanted to honor the high king's decision but yet still wanted to feel free to choose an idea.

"Oh Ed. I dont know what to do! Aslan help me." Peter groaned he ran his hand through his blonde hair, grimacing slightly as his fingers caught on a tangle. Edmund sighed in agreement. To both kings surrender would ruin both their positions.

Oh, Aslan. Show us what to do. Please.

Peter looked at Edmund and the kings came to a silent agreement.

Surrender was the only way to survive.

"W-we..." Edmund looked at Peter once more before closing his eyes and opening them back up before looking at the centaur, whose eyes bore into his.

"We surrender." Edmund said, barely a whisper. Before his buried his face in his hands. Defeated.

The room was silent for a long time.

"My king. How could you both simply give up? Your victory was just around the corner." Edmund and Peter both looked at the centaur. Who had pointed to the checkered board, at the small knight he had just moved in show.

Edmund and Peter looked at each other, then back at the bored. And they began to laugh. Lucy rushed into the room.

"Are you done?! You've been playing for nearly four hours. And you haven't a bite to eat. Oh dear. Susan shall have a fuss when she hears you've wasted all your work time playing chess with Orieus."

"Oh, calm down, Lu." Edmund retorted.

"And please don't tell Susan we had been playing chess instead of working. She'll have our heads." Peter hissed. Lucy rolled her eyes.

"Fine. Only this time though." She warned. Edmund and Peter nodded gratefully.

"Thanks. We are forever in your debt." Both boys said as they snuck into the kitchen to sneak a bite to eat.