10: Horse

Edmund followed Peter silently. He hadn't spoken much since he had gotten back from the witch. Peter couldn't decide if that was because of the things he had seen or because without anger he didn't have much to say at all.

"Come here. I have someone for you to meet." Peter tugged at his shirt gently.

"What is it, Pete?" Edmund asked. Peter smiled.

"This is Philip." Peter said. A brown horse came up to them and bowed it's head acknowledging.

"King Peter... King Edmund." The horse said. Edmund smiled a half smile.

Peter ducked his head and pulled Edmund out of hearing range of the horse for a moment.

"Listen, Ed. Talking horses don't usually allow humans to ride them except in battle. Philip asked me and General Orieus personally if he could be your guard and if he could be your horse."

Edmund was silent. Peter sighed and didn't expect an answer.

"You should at least go say thank you. But I'm not going to push you to do anything. I'm going to go find Lucy and Susan." Peter left and Edmund looked at the horse, who was watching him. After a moment he trotted over to Edmund.

"King Edmund, are you alright?" He asked. Edmund nodded but his own tears gave him away. He hugged the horses neck tightly and clung to Philip like a lifeline.

"Please just call me Edmund." He said softly. "You're the only Narnian that has willingly asked me if I was okay out of concern and not duty." Edmund sobbed. The horse put his head on Edmund's shoulder.

"Of course, Edmund. You are only a colt, I wouldn't expect anything less." Philip murmured. Edmund sniffed and rubbed his eyes vigorously.

"Thanks... horsey." He said teasingly. Philip snorted indignantly.

"It's Philip."