We Need An Ambulance

I woke up a week later in out flat with Ricky's hand protectively over my stomach. Everything was perfect until I realized it was three in the morning and a sharp pain was shooting through me. I had no idea what labor pains felt like, but I had a feeling this was it. The last thing I wanted to do was get up, but when the pain happened again, I knew there was no ignoring it.

"Ricky," I murmured, shaking him lightly. He was a pretty heavy sleeper unfortunately and my attempt to get him up was a fail. "Ricky," I repeated a bit louder this time, shaking him with more force.

Thankfully, I heard hi moan and his eyes started to open slowly. "What?" he asked groggily. He looked about as eager to get out of our warm, comfy bed as I felt.

"I think I'm going into labor," I replied. My answer made him spring out of bed. I had never seen him act so quickly before.

"Ok, ok," he murmured under his breath. He grabbed the bag I had packed for my hospital stay and started to head for the door. "Got everything?" he asked apprehensively. He literally looked like he might faint. I was calmer than him and he wasn't even having the baby.

"Ricky, calm down," I order, earning his attention. "Everything's gonna go fine. Just take a deep breath ok, baby?" I added. My comment made his cheeks turn red, but he let out a sigh that I don't think he even knew he was holding in. I had to admit I was a bit nervous. I would soon be pushing a baby out of my body and then we'd be responsible for another human bring. This wasn't something that was going to be simple.

"Ok, sorry. I just want to make sure that goes ok. I'd rather not have our child born right here," he admitted. He ran his fingers through his unbrushed black hair with nervous. Between the gesture and the sheepish look on his face, I couldn't help but smile and think how cute he looked. Unfortunately, my thoughts were interrupted by another blast of pain which caused me to let out a gasp. "Ok, no time for small talk. Let's go have this baby!" Ricky announced, taking me by the hand.

We rushed down to the car and Ricky realized we needed to call the doctor so she could meet at the hospital. He ended up calling while driving. Thankfully, we didn't get stopped by a police officer because I think if we had, I would've had the baby right then and there. Ricky was speeding down the road, but I didn't protest because I knew he just wanted to get to the hospital on time. I was regretting not telling him to slow down when he went through a stop sign, but a new labor pain shot through me. I looked down at my overgrown stomach in hopes it would stop and when I looked back up out the window, all I could see were bright headlights coming at us. All I could hear was the sound of a horn. "Ricky!" I yelled, but before he realized it was too late.

The next thing I knew, pain was shooting through my head as I was jostled around the car. The windshield was coming at us in pieces and I had to shut my eyes to make sure no glass got in them. After what felt like years, the car stopped moving. When I opened my eyes, everything was blurry and my brain felt like it might explode. When I looked over at Ricky, I let out a sigh of relief when I realized he was fine other than a few cuts and bruises.

"Are you ok?" he questioned. His voice seemed far away and when he moved his head to look at me, I saw three of him. He didn't wait for an answer. He pulled out his phone and started to dial. His voice kept going in and out as he talked to whoever he had called. Every time I blinked, the world seemed to get more tipsy. I was trying hard not to close my eyes, but eyelids were getting heavy. I couldn't tell if it was from sleep or because I was about to pass out.

Suddenly, I felt Ricky's hand on my arm. He was saying something, but I couldn't hear him. His mouth was opening, but no sound was coming out. If I hadn't felt light headed, I would've been pretty freaked out.