The Children

When I saw the screen on the test, I could feel tears well up in my eyes. The little plus sign seemed to be mocking. It was funny how I was on the verge of tears, but some women would be skiing from ear to ear if they found out they were pregnant.

“Midnight, are you ok in there?” Jeremy asked, pounding his fist on the door. I knew if I talked, I’d burst into tears, so I just threw open the door and shoved the test into his hands.

He looked down at the plastic stick and then back up at me. “What am I suppose to do?” I crooked out, letting the tears slide down my cheeks.

“Well, first you need to tell Ricky when you see him tomorrow. You should tell him in person and then you two should figure out what to do together,” Jeremy suggested. He then put his arms around me and pulled me into a tight hug. How come the first time I let someone in, it comes back to bite me in the ass? 

“But how am I suppose to tour with you guys if I have a baby?” I asked with a sniffle. My life seemed to be slowly falling apart. Nothing was going my way and now I might have to give up music.

“We’ll figure it out, Midnight. You can always bring the baby with us,” Jeremy responded, ribbing my back. I couldn’t imagine bringing a baby on tour, but it might have to come to that. Ricky and I would have to talk about it.

I ended up crying for a good twenty minutes and Jeremy didn’t leave. That was why he was such a good friend. He was always there for me when I needed him. He might be a pain in the ass, but I needed him.

***************************************************************************

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of Ricky’s voice. “Good morning, beautiful,” he whispered in my ear. I felt a smile curl onto my lips. I wished I could be woken up like this every morning.

“Good morning,” I replied, still smiling. In all my crying yesterday, I had almost forgotten that I would get to spend the day with Ricky. That also meant I had to tell him about the baby.

“Go get dressed so we can go do something,” he commended before laying a kiss on my lips. I of course did as I was told until I had to puke.

“Is she throwing up again?” I could Jeremy questioned on the other side of the bathroom door. Then, Ricky slowly opened the door and came in the small space. He kneeled down next to me and held my black hair back for me.

“Have you went to a doctor or something?” he questioned, grabbing a loose strand of hair. I was surprised Jeremy didn’t run over to give me the tell-him-now look.

All I could do was shake my head before I had the urge to throw up again. As much as I didn’t want this baby, I was glad all this puking would be done in nine months.

“I think you should go see someone. Throwing up like this can’t be healthy,” he told me. I was glad he cared and was worried about me, but I knew if I wanted to get him off my back I would have to confess.

“I know what’s wrong,” I murmured after a long pause. If I told him now, I could get it over with. It might ruin our day together, but he needed to know.

“You do?” he asked, seeming a bit surprised. I couldn’t help but think he’d be even more surprised once he found out the reason. I gave him a nod and wiped at my mouth. “What wrong then?” he questioned, his brow knitting in confusion.

“Ricky, I, uh, I’m… I’m… I’m pregnant,” I stammered, avoiding his eyes. He didn’t say anything for the longest time, which worried me.

“Are you sure?” he asked. His voice was filled withe sadness. All I could do was nod. I could tell that this wasn’t going to go well. A moment later, he stood up from the tile floor and walked out of the bathroom.