Promises Left To Mend

I had been staring at the same spot on the wall of my bunk for the last hour or two. I had lost track of time awhile ago. I hadn’t talked to Devin or Ricky since the whole incident and that was a week ago. I had only gotten out of my bunk to play, go to signings, and use the bathroom over the last week. I was confused, upset, depressed. I hated this feeling. I had been crying a lot, too. I think it was unhealthy the amount of tears I shed over the last week. I just didn’t have the strength to do anything but lay there. I think I might have felt worse than the first and last time I had a hangover.

Suddenly, the curtain of my bunk was ripped open and light flooded into the coffin-like space. I was so glad I had my back to the curtain. “Go away,” I ordered, not wanting to turn around. I had no idea who had ruin my peaceful self pity session, but I didn’t want to talk to them.

“Midnight, you need to go talk to Ricky before we leave,” Jeremy’s voice commanded. I heaved out a sigh. I thought he understood that I just needed to cry it our and I’d be ok eventually.

“He made it pretty clear that he didn’t want to talk to me anymore,” I responded, finally turning around in my bunk. I looked up at Jeremy, hoping he would just leave.

“Midnight, this is ridiculous. You both love each other a lot and it’s all a big misunderstanding. To be honest, I can’t believe Devin kissed you when he knew you and Ricky were together, but you need to tell Ricky what happened,” Jeremy exclaimed, obviously aggravated with me. He looked pained just saying it.

“He doesn’t want to hear what happened, Jeremy,” I insisted. It hurt to think about Ricky not being my boyfriend anymore - emotionally and physically.

“If you don’t go talk to him, you’re gonna regret it,” Jeremy pleaded. I could tell he really wanted us to makeup and go back to being cute and in love, but I knew it whatever I did wouldn’t work.

“Fine,” I groaned, clearly angered. I wasn’t actually going to go talk to Ricky. I would just get up and walk around for awhile and lie and say I couldn’t find him.

“Really? You’re actually going to go talk to him?” Jeremy asked excitedly. I reluctantly climbed out of my bunk. I knew I looked ridiculous. I had taken my makeup off and changed back into my pajamas after we played.

I quickly changed my clothes and pulled the hood of my jumper up so no one would notice my puffy, makeup-less eyes. I really just wanted to crawl back into my bunk and cry myself to sleep, but I knew that wasn’t an option if I wanted to shut Jeremy up.

As I stepped out of the bus, the sunlight nearly blinded me. Unfortunately, my plan to avoid all contact with other humans didn’t work out too well because I saw Chris. He gave me a small, sad smile and strolled over to me.

“Hey, what’s going on with you and Ricky? He won’t talk about it,” Chris questioned. I could tell he was just worried about us, but I didn’t want to talk about it. Just thinking about it made my body ache.

I just shrugged, not wanting to talk about it. It had been awhile since I had an actual, full fledge conversation with someone other than Jeremy. “You can tell me, Midnight,” he pleaded and I knew there was no way to get around it.

I let out a sigh and I could feel the tears welling up just thinking about what happened. “Devin kissed me and Ricky saw,” I answered my voice cracking mid-sentence. I knew I shouldn’t have come out of my bunk.

“Did you explain what happened to Ricky?” Chris questioned soothingly. I quickly shook my head because I wasn’t able to speak. The tears in my eyes were threatening to fall and I hated crying in front of people. I never thought I’d be this upset over a guy. “Well, maybe you should. I know he’s really upset, too,” Chris insisted. I really had no desire to go talk to Ricky. Yes, I wanted to makeup with him, but I didn’t have the courage to go talk to him.