Call A Doctor

AN: What do you guys want to happen next?

As Ricky and I entered the doctor’s office. I could feel everyone’s eyes on us. I guess it wasn’t everyday that a couple with tattoos all over their bodies were having a baby. As we made our way to the front desk, a very pregnant lady leaned over to a man who I assumed was her husband to whisper something and glance over at us. I don’t think I had ever been given so many disapproving looks at the same time in my whole life.

“Can I help you?” the lady sitting behind the counter asked. She acted like she was shocked that people who look like we did were allowed to reproduce.

“We have an appointment,” I replied, putting my name on the sign in sheet. It felt really weird to be putting my real name. The last time I used it was back in school.

She didn’t respond. She just handed us a clipboard thick with forms and glanced back down at her paperwork. We then grabbed a pen and took a seat as far away from the other couple as possible.

“Well, now I feel welcome,” Ricky murmured so just I could hear. He then took the pen out of my hand and started filling out the shit ton of paper work. I was glad he was filling everything out because I wasn’t in the mood to answer all those pointless questions.

About fifteen minutes late, someone called out my name and escorted us into one of the room. Of course she had to give us the same look as the lady at the front. “Change into this and Dr. Mason will be right with you,” she told us and handed me a hospital gown before exited the room.

I quickly tugged off my t-shirt, causing Ricky to quickly look away. I usually would’ve been embarrassed, but then I reminded myself of how this baby was made and I realized I’d be silly to be embarrassed. I then pulled on the hospital gown the lady had given me and kicked off my jeans. I jumped on to the examination table and looked over at Ricky, who had busied himself examining the pictures on the walls. I had never seen so many baby posters in my life. All the slogans and happy baby faces were scaring me. What if we weren’t good parents? What if it our baby wasn’t as happy as all those babies in the pictures?

“Well, it’s nice to meet you, Gabriella,” a women, who I guessed was Dr. Mason, greeted as she entered the room. I cringed at the use of my real name. I seriously had no idea what my mum had been thinking when she named me that.

“Uh, you can all me Midnight,” I responded. There was no way she was calling me ‘Gabriella’ for the rest of this pregnancy.

“Ok, Midnight it is,” she replied with a nod. “And you must be the lucky father,” she added, turning towards Ricky. She extended her hand for me to shake and then to Ricky. I was glad she didn’t give us that disapproving look.

“Yeah, I’m Ricky,” he told her, letting go of her hand. I don’t think I had ever seen Ricky look so awkward. I guess we both did, though. Between the pastel walls and smiling babies, out black clothing and makeup clashed with the scenery.

“Well, we just gotta make sure the test you took was right before we do anything else,” she told me before telling me she needed to ‘take a look down there.” Ricky eyes quickly flickered back to the baby posters as the doctor did what she needed to do.

“Well, you two are definitely going to being parents!” she exclaimed when she had finished. The suddenly excitement in her voice startled Ricky a bit. I don’t think I had ever met someone as happy as Dr. Mason was.

She then checked a few more thing and started to explained to me about the ‘dos and don’ts’ of pregnancy, or at least that’s what she called it. “Hopefully you don’t smoke,” she told me. As soon as the words left her mouth, I instantly wanted a cigarette. I and stopping smoking since I found out I was pregnant, but it was the hardest things I have ever had to do. Every second of the day, I just wanted to grab a cigarette and my lighter but I knew I couldn’t.