Make Friends

“Uh!” I grunted, struggling under the weight of boxes of shirts I was carrying. Who knew clothing could be so heavy. I was literally going to kill Jeremy for not helping me.

“Midnight!” I heard someone yell behind me. I tried to turn around carefully, but the top box didn’t seem to want to cooperate and fell to the ground. I let out a groan. Who put me in charge of merch anyway?

“I am so sorry,” Ricky told me as he ran up to me. He immediately bent down to help me pick up the shirts that had fallen to the grass. We were going onstage in less than a half hour, so I really didn’t have time for this.

“It’s ok,” I replied even though I was a lit angry. It wasn’t really his fault, but I needed to be heading over to the stage soon. I picked up a shirt and examined it for grass stains knowing that if any of them were stained, I was dead.

“Well, before that box dropped, I was just gonna say you dropped your drumstick,” he told me, holding out my custom drumstick. I instinctively felt my back pocket where I usually kept my drumsticks only to find that only one was stuck between the layers of fabric.

“Thank you. I would’ve been so mad it I lost it,” I replied, taking my drumstick from his open hand gratefully. I was always losing or breaking my sticks and I couldn’t really afford to lose too many more.

“It looks like you need some help with these boxes,” he commented with a chuckle. He picked up the fallen box and instead of handing it back to me, he started to head towards the Into The Dark merch tent. The first thought that came into my head was how much of  gentlemen he was. Any of my other friends would’ve have ran off as soon as soon as they had thrown everything back in the box if they had even stopped to help me.

“Thanks, Ricky,” I told him when we got to our tent. I gave him a huge smile as we handed Trent, who was Into The Dark's merch guy, the boxes. Trent raised his eyebrows at me as Ricky started expecting the merchandise that was already displayed. I wanted to give Trent the finger, but I didn’t want Ricky questioning it, so I held back.

“Ooo, is this your guys’ album?” Ricky questioned excitedly, gesturing to the CD case that was taped down on the table. I nodded looking down at the album art. We had chosen to put a skull on it since we called the album The Living And The Dead. “I like the title,” he told me with a half smile tugging at his lips. I was really proud of the album. From the title to cover to the lyrics, which I helped write, to the drums. I was just so proud that I had been able to help create such an awesome album. I’m not trying to sound conceited, I just really put a hard work into that album.

“Thanks,” I mumbled, feeling my face get hot for some reason. I looked down at the table hoping that my hair would hide me face. I had yet to see some of the bracelets we were selling this tour so I busied myself with that. I usually ended up taking some of them. I wore a lot of bracelets and I got them for free if I just took them from my own band’s merchandise.

When I looked back up at him, he was reading the track listing. “These are awesome song titles. Who came up with them?” he complimented yet again. I was starting to feel uncomfortable. If he complimented one more thing, I might have to make up some excuse to get away.

“Um, Jeremy mostly but I came up with a few,” I replied and proceeded to point out the three titles that were my idea. My favorite song on the record was the very last one. I named it and had written most of the lyrics. It was about my childhood and what it was like growing up without a dad. My dad left when I was ten, which is a huge reason why I don’t like letting people into my life. The worst part is that I remembered him. We had been so close, but yet he had left my mum and me.

“Aren’t you suppose to be on stage in, like, ten minutes?” Trent interrupted. I was kind of glad he did since I had started rambling on about the record. I usually only rambled when I was nervous.