She Forgets

We spent the whole day together. We watched each other play, we watched othe bands play together. I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I finally just let my heart take over. I didn’t think about my doubts all day. After the last bands played, we went our separate ways. I wished the day could’ve lasted forever. It was honestly one of the best days I had ever had. Ricky just had this affect on me. He made me really happy.

“So, what’s up with you and Ricky?” Jeremy asked planting himself of on the couch next to me. He put his arm around me and I put my phone in my lap. I could tell Jeremy could see that something was going on with Ricky and I today, but thankfully he didn’t say anything until now.

“I don’t know,” I replied wit a shrug. I could feel a smile curl on my lips at the mention of his name and my face got hot.

“I think you do,” he pried smiling back at me. He poked my arm playfully. “Are you guys together or what?” he asked hopefully. That was actually something I didn’t know the answer to.

“Uh, I don’t know. He just told me he likes me,” I responded. The smile that spread on his face was the biggest smile I had ever witnessed.

“Oh my God! That totally means your together! Midnight’s got a boyfriend!” he exclaimed. His voice was full of joy. I’m not sure I had ever seen him so happy. I think he was more excited about my relationship than he was about his own. “Tell me everything!” he ordered shifting on the couch so he could see me better. I swear sometimes he could act like a teenage girl.

I quickly summarized what had happened blushing at the part about me kissing him. As comfortable as I felt around Jeremy, I still hated talking about my feeling.

“You guys are so cute,” he gushed when I was done talking. I felt my face get even otter than before. I had never really thought about ‘being cute’ with someone.

“Wait, you and Ricky are together?” Blake exclaimed running into the front lounge. I shook my head quickly and was about to say ‘no,’ but Jeremy interjected.

“Yep! He liked her,” he replied happily. He wrapped me in a hug and squeezed me so tight I though my insides mine explode.

“Just because he liked me doesn’t mean we’re together,” I insisted. We barely even knew each other. What if he got to know me better and didn’t like me anymore?

“Midnight’s thinking. That can’t be good,” Blake announced with a hint of sarcasm. It wasn’t too far off. I tended to over think things.

“I’m think that, well, we don’t know each other too well. What if he doesn’t like me when he gets to know me better?” I said. It was more like I was thinking out loud. I scratched the back of my neck thoughtful. Why was I always so doubtful?

“Midnight, if he doesn’t like you, then he’s a dick. You are awesome, Midnight,” he reassured me and pulled me into another hug. He was right, of course, but I was just so unsure of myself.

“Stop telling yourself you’re not good enough,” Jeremy ordered. It was like he could read my mind sometimes. Within a few moments, I had pulled Jeremy into our hug, too. It felt so nice to be with my two best friends.

********************

The next day, Ricky stopped our bus to pick my up again. I was really starting to like spending my days with Ricky.

“So who do you want to see today?” Ricky questioned as we walked along. He started to stuff his hands in his pockets, but stopped. He was so close to me that our hands brushed sending a wave of electricity through my skin. I then felt his hand clasp mine. I was a bit shocked at first. I had never really held hands with anyone before, but after a few moments, I let myself relax.

“I don’t know. Maybe Pierce The Veil,” I answered looking up at him. The sunlight was hitting his blue eyes just perfectly. God, he was gorgeous.

“That sounds nice,” he replied giving me a smile that almost made my insides melt. Why did he have such an impact on me?

We were silent for a few moments until I remembered some exciting news. “Guess what! My aunt’s coming to visit tomorrow,” I told him excitedly. It felt like forever since I had seen my Aunt Addy and I honestly missed her.

“I can’t wait to meet her,” he responded smiling he suddenly stopped in his tracks and turned to face me. My hand felt empty when he let go of it, but then he moved some of my black hair behind my ear and planted a quick kiss on my lips. As soon as our lips parted, I was begging his to come back. He snaked his arms around my waist and we just stood there looking into each other eyes. Is this how it felt to be in love? Was being in love feeling content doing absolutely nothing with the other person?

That’s how I felt. I felt perfectly content in that moment. Just standing there with his arms around me. I felt... happy. I hadn’t truly felt happy offstage in a really long time. The last time I had really been one hundred percent happy when I wasn’t behind my drum kit was... well, actually can’t remember. I hadn’t been happy with my mum because we were poor. I hadn’t been happy with my aunt because I missed my mum. On tour when we were playing, I missed home. But I felt at home in Ricky’s arms. I wished I could stay with him forever.

“Sorry, lovebirds. I need to steal Midnight,” Jeremy’s voice announced from behind us. I quickly spun around as a deep blush forming on my face.

“Why?” I questioned stubbornly. I seriously didn’t want to leave Ricky. Why couldn’t time just stand still when we were together?

“We have a show to play,” he responded slowly as if trying to explain it to a first grader. I shook my head at him and tried not to give him the finger.

“I’ll watch you guys play,” Ricky said. He took my hand in his and started to follow Jeremy to the stage. When Jeremy saw that we were holding hands he gave me a surprised but happy look. I guess he just wasn’t expecting it. To be honest, I hadn’t expected it at first either.

Blake gave me a less than discreet thumbs up when he saw Ricky and I and Aaron and Dan gave me grins. They had never been this happy or excited over anyone else’s relationships. I guess they were all so proud of me for overcoming my fears and letting go of my father. I don’t think I’d be this way with any other guy, though. Ricky was... different for some reason. He made me forget everything.