The Distance Kills Me

I woke up the next morning to the curtain of Ricky’s bunk being ripped open. I let out a groan and looked up through the harsh sunlight to see Jeremy standing there. Why he was on Motionless In White’s bus confused me, but I was too groggy to ask.

“Come on, Midnight. We need to leave soon. Get up,” Jeremy commanded. All I could hear Ricky groan next to me and I could feel his arms around me. Why couldn’t we just stay in his bunk all day?

“Do I really have to, Jeremy?” I whined, knowing the answer was ‘yes.’ I closed my eyes trying to block out the bright light. All I wanted to do was fall back to sleep.

“Yes! Now get up! We can’t be late for the show!” he exclaimed. That’s when it crossed my mind I was naked underneath the thin blankets. The heat rose in my cheeks. There was no way I was getting up with Jeremy there.

“Go away and I’ll get up,” I responded, shooing him away with my hand and hoping he wouldn’t ask too many questions. He gave me a confused look, probably wondering why he had to go away.

“Why…wait did you guys…” he trailed off with a grin. He seemed to be trying to get a better look at me, obviously having seen my bare arms. “You crazy kids,” he murmured jokingly, but thankfully walked away.

“I’ll go get our clothes,” Ricky whispered. He then carefully climbed over me and out of the bunk. He returned five minutes later with his pants on and my clothes in hand.

“Thanks,” I told him, taking them from his outstretched hand. Before I could pull anything on, he reached over and planted a kiss on my lips. At first was take by surprise, but I soon felt my lips curl into a smile his.

“I love you,” he whispered just loud enough so I could hear. He then pressed his forehead to mine and smiled back at me.

“I love you, too,” I replied, kissing him again. The fact that I was still laying down in his bunk make kissing him quite awkward, but I did it anyway. I didn’t really care.

“Get dressed!” I could hear Jeremy yell from the front of the bus. I let out a chuckle, but started to pull on my pants and t-shirt anyway. It was quite a challenge doing so laying down, but I didn’t want to take the chance that someone would walk in. Ricky leaned up against the other bunks and pulled out.

When I hopped down from his bunk, I looked over his shoulder to see that he was looking at the Into The Dark website and had out tour dates up. “A week and a half,” he murmured. It took me a moment to realize that he meant in a week and a half we’d be in the same city again. It might not sound like that long, but I knew it would feel like forever.

“We’ll get through it,” I promised. I knew that it would be challenging, but we’d have to do it. We’d call and text each other so it wouldn’t be too unbearable.

He didn’t say anything. He just pressed his lips against mine. “Come on, Midnight!” I heard Jeremy yell, causing us to pill apart. He just had to run everything, didn’t he?

“I’ll call you later, Ricky,” I told him, giving him one last quick kiss before running off the bus was Jeremy. I wished I could’ve stayed with him forever, but I knew that was impossible.

As Jeremy and I started to walk, we fell into silence until he spoke up. “So, how was it?” he questioned after a few moments. My face immediately grew hot from embarrassment.

“What?” I replied, trying to act as though I didn’t know what he was talking about. It was kind of an awkward thing to talk about, even with your best friend.

“You know what. Was it good?” he restated with a grin. It looked like I couldn’t get out of talking about it now.

“Yeah,” I replied with a smile and red cheeks. I couldn’t believe we were actually talking about this with him. I’m not sure if I had ever been so uncomfortable in my whole entire life.