I'll Tell You

“You’re back already?” I heard Aunt Addy call from the living room as I shut the front door. I had told her I was going out with Ricky so I’m sure she expected me to be gone almost all day.

“Yeah. I, uh, have to, uh, tell you something,” I stammered as I walked into the doorway of the living room, Ricky following at my heel. I could feel my stomach do a flip-flop and my hands start to feel clammy. I was sure that she’d be supportive, but I was still nervous.

“Oh, and you brought Ricky,” she commented when she saw him standing next to me awkwardly. She eyed us curiously as if she wasn’t entirely sure if she wanted to hear what we had to say. “So, what’s up?” she asked apprehensively as we took a seat on the couch,

“Well, um…” I started as I felt Ricky’s hand slip into mine supportively. He gave me an encouraging smile before I went on. “I’m, uh, I’m pregnant,” I stuttered. Her eyes got real wide and I didn’t know if that meant she was happy or not.

“Really, Gabby?” she questioned. When I nodded, a huge smile broke out on her face and she pulled me into a bear hug. “Wow, congratulations,” she exclaimed when she let me go. “I’m so happy for you guys,” she added with genuine excitement. She had no kids of her own, so I knew she would treat this kid like it was her own because she always wanted a baby.

“You’re really growing up, Gabby. I remember when you first moved in with me. You wouldn’t say two words to anybody and now you’re having. I’m so excited,” she told me giving me a grin. Even though the comment made me blush, I was so relieved she was happy.

She then went on to quiz me about going to the doctor’s, about names, and tons of other baby related things. “You’re not getting married or anything, right?” she questioned as if the thought was ridiculous. It was pretty absurd, though. I had never had any desire to get married and I definitely didn’t want to get married just because I pregnant.

“Um, no,” I replied quickly. I was so glad Ricky just wanted to move in together and hadn’t mentioned marriage at all. I then felt Ricky nudging me, signaling me to tell my aunt about our plans. “But we were talking about moving in together,” I added, hoping she wouldn’t go crazy.

“Well, that seems like a good option. It’ll be a lot more simple that way with the baby,” she agreed. I let out a silent sigh of relief that she was ok with me moving out. “This is all so exciting,” murmured with a sparkle in her eyes. “Ooo, you’ll have to call your mum and tell her, too. I’m sure she’ll be excited to know she’s gonna be a grandparent,” my aunt gushed. I don’t think I had ever seen her excited about something.

**********************************************************************

Now that I had told my aunt and I had called my mum, who had also seemed very excited, I had a few moments to breath. We still had to tell Ricky’s parents, but we were waiting for the next tour to do that. Somehow our managers had been able to get us both opening for Asking Alexandria, so we were going to tell them when we were in Seattle. Unfortunately, the Seattle date was during the first week of tour, so I had no time to prepare myself. Something told me they were going to be as stoked as my aunt had been.

“Is this everything?” Jeremy questioned. None of my bandmates were letting me lift a finger, so he was lugging me suitcase to the bus along with my drum set.

“Yep,” I replied with a nod. While their treatment made me feel useless, it was nice to sit back and watch them break their backs while I relaxed.

“You excited to tour with Baby Daddy?” he teased. ‘Baby Daddy’ was the guys’ new nickname for Ricky. Their teasing had been relentless recently and I knew it would just get worse.