This Dream Was Ours

“Can you hold this for me while we play?” Ricky asked, handing me his phone. Motionless In White was about to go on and I had made it just in time to see them play.

“Yeah, sure,” I replied, shoving it in my pocket. Thankfully, after I had asked him to put the phone away, he hadn’t taken it out again all day. Well, he did while I was in the bathroom, but he put it away as soon as I came back.

“I have to go do my makeup. I’ll be right back,” he told me before kissing the top of my head and heading for the bathroom. I just nodded and made myself comfortable on the couch in the dressing room.

Suddenly, a thought popped into my head. If I wanted to find out who Ricky had been texting earlier, I had his phone right in my pocket. I knew his passcode and I had time. I could find out if I wanted to. But, was it really any of my business? What if it was something personal. But, we told each other everything. I had told him things that no one else knew, so that kind of gave me the right to look. I didn’t want to invade his privacy and become one of the clingy girlfriends, though. Even if I did find out he was texting another girl, who would I do about it? I’d have to admit that I went through his phone if I got mad at him. But the wondering was killing me. I couldn’t get it off my mind. I had to know.

After glancing at the bathroom door, which was closed, I pulled Ricky’s phone out of my pocket. I quickly put in his passcode, which I had seem him type in countless times. Thankfully, he had been dumb enough to leave his messages up. I tapped on the newest conversation, which was labeled… Jenna. Who the fuck was Jenna? As I read the messages, my mouth fell open.

Jenna: When r u coming 2 Seattle?

Ricky: nxt week

Jenna: Good I miss u. Is ur gf gonna b there?

Ricky: Nope

Jenna: Aw I wanted 2 meet her

Ricky: Sure u did

Jenna:  I did I want 2 no who’s stealing u from me

And that was all I had to read to feel angry tears well up in my eyes. I threw his phone down on the couch. How could he? He got mad at me because he thought I kissed Devin when he had texting another girl the whole time. God, why had I ever trusted him? I was so naive to think that someone could actually like me. Why had I let him it? I knew I would just get hurt in the end. Now I was again crying over some stupid guy.

I let out an angry sigh and started to stand up. I needed some air before my head exploded. Just as I was about to leave, the bathroom door swung open and Ricky came out. His skin was now covered in black body paint. He had a huge smile on his face, but when he saw me in tears, it quickly vanished.

“Midnight, what happened?” he questioned with concern laced in his voice. His brow was knit in worry and confusion like he didn’t know why I was upset.

“Why don’t you ask Jenna?” I retorted angrily. How dare he cheat on me and then act like he didn’t know why I was mad. Before he could say anything else, I turned on my heel and ran out of the dressing room.

I kept running until I made it outside. I could hear Ricky yelling after me the whole way, but I didn’t stop. I really had no desire to talk to him. I mean, we had just fixed things and he had to screw everything up again.

Apparently, Ricky was a fast runner, though, because not too long after I had left, I felt a tug on my arm. I spun around to see Ricky with sadness in his beautiful eyes. Why did he always have to break my heart and cause me pain?

"Get off of me!" I commanded, pushing his fingers off my skin. I really wished he wouldn't make this harder than it already was.

"Can I explain?" he asked desperately. I was about to continue walking away, but there was no way I was going to not get mad at him. He was such a hypocrite.

"No, Ricky, you can't! You didn't let me explain before, so no you can't," I bellowed in response. I then spun around again and started to storm away from him.

"And look where that got us, Midnight!" he called after me. The sentence made me stop in my tracks. Did I really want to practically have a mental break down over him again?

"Ok, fine explain," I told him, turning to face him. I couldn't believe I was actually going to listen to him after I had proof he was cheating on me.

"Jenna and I are just friends. I've known her since we were kids. I told you before that I wouldn't cheat on you and I wasn't lying," he explained. I looked at him skeptically. As much as I wanted to believe him, those texted seemed like someone who was more than a childhood friends. And if they were so close, why hadn't he mentioned her before.

"If you guys are such good friends, why haven't you talked about her before? And why is she acting like your girlfriend?" I asked with a film of rudeness over my voice. I knew deep down I should just believe him, but I just couldn't.

"I guess she just never came up. I don't know, Midnight!" he replied with pain in his voice. The whole time we had been talking, he was inching his way to me and now stood so close that I could've breathed and accidentally touched him. I really wished he would just go away.

"You can really ask any of the guys if you don't believe me," he added. I let out a sigh. Why did relationships have to be so confusing?

"No, I trust you, Ricky," I responded, running my finger through my long black hair. I guess it was my turn to apologize now. "I'm sorry for going through you phone. I should've just trusted you," I apologized, looking down at my combat boots.

"Well, that was kinda my own fault. I practically ignoring you for the first half of the day," he replied with a nervous chuckle. Well, at least he admitted he was wrong.

"Are we ok now?" he asked when I didn't say anything. I gave him a nod and then he wrapped his arms around my small figure. After a few moments, I backed up from his embrace just enough to press my lips against his. No matter how many times we complicated, I never wanted to let him go.