Romance Is Dead

“I can’t believe this’ll all be over in less than a week,” Ricky commented. Yep, in less than a week, Warped Tour would be over. We’d all go back home and then start a new tour soon. I really didn’t want to leave Ricky, but I knew I had no choice.

“I’m gonna miss you,” I told him in a mumble. It was obvious I was going to miss him, but I hadn’t said it out loud yet. Well, at least not to him.

“I’m gonna miss you, too, but we’ll get to see each other on the next tour a lot, remember?” he said, reminding me of when we first met and figured out we would be in the same cities a lot.

“I know, but it won’t be the same,” I replied sadly. I couldn’t imagine not seeing him everyday, not waking up in his bunk everyday, not holding his hand everyday. I just didn’t want to live without him.

“We can still call and text and Skype all the time. I know it’s not going to be like seeing each other everyday, but we’ll make it work. I promise,” he responded, leaning down to kiss the top of my head. I was going to miss his kisses a lot, too.

I didn’t respond because I didn’t want to think about leaving anymore. I just wanted to enjoy the time we actually had together. While trying not to think about it was hard, I was determined to have fun for the next few days and just be happy for a bit longer.

“Stop being such a downer and go warmup,” he ordered jokingly. I stuck my tongue out at him childishly, but grabbed my warmup pad and my drumstick anyway. I immediately started tapping out different beats while he watched. I had gotten used to him watching me warmup by now so I wasn’t the least bit uncomfortable.

“You guys are on in a minutes!” someone announced loudly a few moments later. As always I could feel my stomach do a nervous flip-flop. I really didn’t think I’d ever get used to playing in front of so many people.

“Break a leg,” Ricky told me before giving me a kiss on the cheek. Devin gave me a big smile from where he was standing. Just like a true best friend, Devin had watched us played as often as he possibly could. He gave me a quick hug before I ran onstage. I swear I saw Ricky give Devin a look, but I shrugged it off. Devin and I were just friends and Ricky knew that. The crowd immediately went wild as my foot his the pedal.

I think that that show might have been the best of the whole tour. There were so many people out there and not one of them was standing still. They all seemed to know the lyrics, too. Not to mention, I think we all performed really well too. I ran off stage drenched in sweat with a huge smile on my face.

“That was fucking awesome, Midnight,” Devin announced excitedly. He enveloped me in a hug and I wrapped my arms around him, too. When he let me go, I looked around, but I didn’t see Ricky anywhere.

“Where did Ricky go?” I questioned, glancing around once more. I doubted he had left while we were playing. It wasn’t like him to do that unless Motionless In White’s set started in the middle of ours.

Devin just shrugged. “Can I talk to you, though?” he questioned, avoiding my eyes. I could tell something was up by the was he was acting and I was almost afraid to know what it was.

“Yeah, sure. What’s up?” I replied as he pulled me away from the rest of my band. Now I really knew something was wrong. Devin usually didn’t have a problem telling me things in front of other people, especially not Dan, Jeremy, Aaron, and Blake.

He took a deep breath and stared at the ground. “I…you…I always…” he stammered after a moment of silence. The, he did something that I never thought he’d do in a million years. He leaned down and closed the space between us, his lips meeting mine.

It took me a moment to realize what he was doing. Devin, one of my best friends, was kissing me. His lips felt so weird on mine. I had only ever kissed Ricky before and I wasn’t expecting it to feel so different to kiss someone else, but it did. There was no sparks; there were not butterflies in my stomach. It just felt… weird. It was like I was frozen in place, though; stupefied by shock. My mind was racing; my heart was pounding. He knew I was in love with Ricky and that I was really happy, so why was he kissing me? I don’t care if he had feelings for me. Isn’t a good friend suppose to want the other person to just be happy?

Somehow, I unfroze myself and found the strength to push him away. I didn’t want to hurt his feeling, but he had to know I didn’t feel the same way about him.

I was about to tell him that I didn’t like him that way and that I didn’t want to be anything more than friends when I saw someone move out of the corner of my eye. When I turned my head, I saw Ricky standing there looking as shocked as I felt. By the look on his face, I could tell he had seen the whole thing.

I knew I needed to explain what had happened, but where did I begin? “Ricky, I-” I stared when I found my voice.

“Save it, Midnight,” Ricky cut me off. His words hit me like a whip. He shook his head at me in disappointment and started to walk off. I felt like he had just taken my heart out of my chest and stomped on it a million times. I needed him, but he was walking away from me probably for good.

Something in my mind told my legs to start running after him before I could even comprehend what was going on and what he had said. All I knew was that I needed to make things right and tell him what hah happened. He would believe me, right? He had to.

“Ricky, can I explain?” I pleaded. He couldn’t just walk away from me; from what he had. He said he loved me. He couldn’t just throw it all away because of this silly misunderstanding.

“No, you can’t. I know what I fucking saw. You can save your fucking lies for someone who cares,” he spat, his voice rising as he spoke. I cringed out the volume of his voice. I had never heard him yell and I had never seen him this angry before. I was about to argue when he cut me off again. “I knew something was up with you two,” he mumbled before running off.

I stood there watching him walk away from me. I could feel the tears that had welled up in my eyes started to spill over. My first relationship was over. Ricky probably never wanted to talk to me again. The guy I loved didn’t love me anymore. The best thing in my life; the one person who made me happy, was walking way from me… for good.