CHAPTER 18

My eyes flutter open, and it takes me a minute to remember where I am. I had fallen asleep on my stomach, facing Mitch, and when I look at him I see he fell asleep the same way.

"Mitch." I whisper. No answer. I lightly brush my fingers against his arm, and he wakes up.

"Hey." he mumbles. "What time is it?"

"Uh," I begin, sitting up and looking at the clock. "Just before nine. I should go."

"Already?" he asks, his voice sounding deeper than normal.

"Yeah. I don't wanna stay here, and you guys are leaving soon, right?" I ask, looking down at him.

"Yeah." he says, sitting up beside me. "I'll take a quick shower, then get you breakfast?" he offers.

"Don't worry. I can do breakfast myself." I tell him, pushing the covers off of me and standing up.

"Okay." he says, standing as well. "I'll be quick." I watch as he exits into the bathroom, closing the door. The sound of the faucet turning on is the signal I need to start my day.

As I pass by the mirror I notice just how messy my hair got. I groan, taking it out of its previous ponytail and just settling for a bun atop my head.

I head into the hallway, making sure not to make too much noise as I pass by Auston's room. I pop a piece of bread into the toaster and put a mug under the coffee machine, brewing a cup.

I search through the cupboards and find some jam, smearing it on the piece of toast when it comes out. I add sugar and plenty of milk, sitting at the island and eating my breakfast.

Back at my dorm, breakfast consisted of cereal most often. Sometimes I didn't even eat breakfast, just stopping at the café on the way to class and picking up a coffee.

I was almost done when Mitch joined me in the kitchen. "Wow. Creative." he says when he saw what I was eating.

I just smiled, taking out my phone. "Do you think I can have Will's number? I have to ask him something." I say to Mitch. I had been thinking up a plan for a few days now, not telling either Auston or Mitch about it. But Will would be the help I needed.

"Will? Like Willy Will?" Mitch asked, seeming confused. I nodded.

"Uh, sure. Why?" he took out his phone, and looked through his contacts to find Will. When he did, he showed me the number so I could copy it down.

"I have to ask him something." I repeat, trying to suppress a smile. I'm finished with my plate, so I go over to put it in the dishwasher.

"I should leave soon." I say, sitting down again and sipping my coffee.

"I can drive you home." Mitch offers.

"Okay, thanks." I say, putting my finished mug in the dishwasher as well. "I'll just go get my clothes, and we can leave?" I suggested, and Mitch nodded.

I folded my clothes from yesterday, being too lazy to change right now. It was still cold out, and I was still wearing shorts, but it was okay. The drive to my dorm from here wasn't far.

I met Mitch back in front of the door, pulling my coat on and following him out. When we left the building I was in for a surprise. "It's snowing!" I exclaim, looking down at my shaking legs.

"Run!" Mitch yelled, and I screamed as we had to run through the snow to reach his car. He unlocks it before we get there so we can quickly get in. Both of us are laughing once we do.

Mitch starts the car and blasts the heat as I hear my phone ringing. Auston's name pops up, and I show the screen to Mitch. "Hey." I say, answering the phone.

"Hey Nat. What's up." Auston said. His voice sounded different too, maybe he had just woken up.

"Um, not much. Why'd you call?" I ask, crossing my legs in my seat.

"Do you wanna come on the road trip with us? We're leaving today, we play in Edmonton first." he offers.

"Oh." I say. "That's nice of you." I was planning on going on the road trip anyway, that's why I had asked for Will's number, I was gonna text him for help and surprise Mitch and Auston.

"Yeah, why not, y'know?" Auston said.

"Um, well I don't think I can. I was making some plans with Anna anyway, I don't want to let her down." I lie.

"Wait, for real? You're gonna stay home with Anna rather than come west?" he says not seeming to believe it.

"Yeah, sorry. There'll be other trips." I say.

"Uh, ok." Auston answers, still sounding surprised. "I guess I'll see you when we get home, yeah."

"Yeah. Bye, good luck." I say, hanging up the phone.

"Did he ask you to come on the trip with us?" Mitch asks, turning to me while driving.

"Yeah. I can't though, maybe next time." I say, not looking at him. I'd feel too bad to meet his eyes while lying.

"Oh." Mitch nods. By now he's pulling up beside my university, right by the entrance to my dorm. "I guess I'll see you when we get back, then."

"Yeah." I say, unbuckling my seat belt. "Thanks for the ride." I smile. He reaches across to hug me, and we stay like that for a few seconds before I get out of the car, running to the doors.

I take the elevator up to my floor, taking out my phone and texting Will.

Me: hey, it's natalie, i hope you don't mind but mitch gave me your number

William: oh hey what's up

Me: okay so i need your help

Me: i'm planning on leaving for edmonton tonight, but i haven't told anyone, i wanna surprise the boys

William: of course hah

William: i can get you a seat?

Me: yess please

Me: i can do the flight details and hotel and stuff

William: okay np, i'll just send you our details so you know

Me: thanksss so much :)

——

leave a vote/comment if you'd like 😝 sorry this chap is kinda boring lol !!! also this story's almost at 20k reads which is awesome 🤗