CHAPTER 17

nat ^^ she's so pretty. I'm jealous. okay, carry on.

——

I started the day with a quick breakfast and chat with Anna before I was off to write my exam. I didn't know if I was more nervous to write the exam or hang out with Mitch. Maybe the latter.

I got to my class and sat in a comfortable seat in the back of the room. I was nervous writing my mid term, but it was easier than I expected. Thank god.

I even finished early, texting Anna once I was done. There's a small bakery near us that she loves going to, called Giorno. I've never been, so she took today as a good opportunity to take me.

I walked back to my dorm, meeting Anna inside.

"You're free!" she cried once I opened the door.

I smiled. "For just two weeks."

"Still free." she says. Anna had finished her midterms just the day before. She stands up now and comes to the door as we prepare to walk down to Giorno together.

"Was it hard?" she asks about the exam.

"Not that bad." I admitted. "All my studying paid off."

Anna smiled. "Studying, huh? With Auston?" her lips curl up in a subtle smirk.

"How'd you know about that?" I ask, since Anna wasn't even home when Auston came.

"People on our floor knew. He doesn't really go unrecognized, y'know." she points out. Poor guy can't even visit his friend without being noticed.

"Yeah. He just came to say hi." I say, not going into details. By now we've reached outside, and I'm thankful for my warm jacket in this cool weather.

"Y'know, what, Nat? We're free women! For two weeks." Anna points out, changing the subject as we cross the street. "We should celebrate. Go out for some drinks. Meet some guys. We deserve it." she smiled at me.

I give her a sheepish smile. "Not me, Anna, but you can," I shrug.

"What!?" she exclaims. "Not even for drinks?" by now we've reached Giorno, and we step inside to shield ourselves from the cold.

I shake my head, not meeting her eyes.

"Nat!" she whisper-shouts, and I think she's caught on. "Is it Auston?" she says in a hush.

I feel myself blush as I look back at her, shaking my head.

"Mitch?" she says, eyes wide. I give the slightest nod of my head, and her mouth drops open. She holds up one finger, though, as she steps up to the counter to order. Two lattes and two croissants for the both of us. She pays and brings us to a table to wait for our food.

"Nat, you should've told me!" she finally says.

"I don't even know for sure or not, you can't say or do anything." I warn.

"I'm not gonna say anything." she chuckles. "I'm just here to offer boy advice. So, tell me about him." she grins, propping her elbows on the table and resting her chin on her closed fists. This whole situation feels like I'm back in high school talking about a crush with my friend.

"Okay, well I met him back in the summer, but I've only started really talking to him in October. We hang out a lot, too, but it kinda feels different now. Or maybe it's just me." I ramble.

"Not necessarily a bad thing." she shakes her head, just as we get brought our food by an employee. I immediately take a sip of my coffee to warm up.